• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

782d battery

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rig a back feed thru a bad relay or safety switch, leave the positive off, touch the ground and watch the sparks. If you don't know how to do that, I'll be more than happy to fill you in on the details. (y)

This could be fun! How about a demonstration? It'd be kinda like an early 4th of July. :D

Reminds me of the time a screw came loose inside the starter on my 1958 Willys Station wagon and shorted the windings. :yikes: I had been shopping at the Fleet Farm in Hudson, WI and when I went to start it to head home smoke started rolling out from under the hood! I quickly opened up the hood and saw the insulation on the positive cable from the battery to the solenoid melting off. I grabbed a wrench from my tool box but by the time I started to loosen the terminal clamp it quit smoking. I wrapped the cable with some duct tape to insulate it from shorting on anything else. I wasn't able to crank start it, but I was able to push start it, (fairly easy to do with that old thing, even by myself), and drive the ten miles or so home. Pulled the starter and found the loose screw welded to the windings. Took a week to get it back from being rebuilt and all was well.

If you guys want to experiment with batteries, go ahead. I'm staying right here! :roflol:
I learned a long time ago to not play around with batteries.
Ever hear/see an electric fork truck battery cell blow? It will get your attention.

jkreutner - As you see with all differnet setups, #1 issues slow cranking especially in cold weather.
I have been able to start at 18F in the winter without heating the coolant with my 350CCA battery and the starter/glowplug mods.

jknight - I like your battery setup. What Odyssey battery part# did you used?
- Found adding a battery to engine ground on my #1 did not make any difference. Both my 782's have
two ground cables. Battery to chassis and chassis to engine endplate.

akiszka - My #2 replace defective OEM VR with a Kumar copy. OK for charging the battery but it gets very hot with the PTO and headlights engaged. Have been think of replace head lamps with LED's and adding rear work lights. Is the Grasshopper VR a direct replacement?

Bob G.
If getting to much heat need a bigger cable size and heavier ends to handle current!!!

This could be fun! How about a demonstration? It'd be kinda like an early 4th of July. :D

Reminds me of the time a screw came loose inside the starter on my 1958 Willys Station wagon and shorted the windings. :yikes: I had been shopping at the Fleet Farm in Hudson, WI and when I went to start it to head home smoke started rolling out from under the hood! I quickly opened up the hood and saw the insulation on the positive cable from the battery to the solenoid melting off. I grabbed a wrench from my tool box but by the time I started to loosen the terminal clamp it quit smoking. I wrapped the cable with some duct tape to insulate it from shorting on anything else. I wasn't able to crank start it, but I was able to push start it, (fairly easy to do with that old thing, even by myself), and drive the ten miles or so home. Pulled the starter and found the loose screw welded to the windings. Took a week to get it back from being rebuilt and all was well.
Schooling on reverse diode on ground to take care of back feed is helpful on heave electric clutches and other power feeds !!! For when the power is cut it has a Delta inversion happen in feed back can cause fires, or battery explosion ! !!!!!!!

Back