• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

782d battery

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkreutner

displayname
John Edward Kreutner
Just bought 782d and I was wondering what is the bigest battery you can put onder the hood it seems like the box is to narrow for car battery. Any suggestions?

Original odd ball size battery no longer available. Best solution replace original stater with a Denso OSGR type starter for about $75 on eBay. Engine will turn over faster. Look for a U1 battery with the most CCA (Cold Crank Amperage) rating 350 - 450 CCA.

Starter Upgrade

Another modification is replacing GP with NGK 12V Y-103V and installing a relay for the Glow plugs.

Glow Plug Relay on Fan Support Bracket

Glow Plug Relay under Fuel Pump

Bob G.

Last edited:
Just call Odyssey Batteries and give them the dimensions of the battery tray. The most important is the height.
but in mine I have the 450CC lawn and garden battery.
With two ground cables. Battery to Engine the Engine to frame. And the high torque starter. It will start most winters with out plugging in the coolant heater.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZ,!iIE2Ks46oQoBNucq0JYFQ~~0_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqZ,!iIE2Ks46oQoBNucq0JYFQ~~0_3.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 320
I have a 1512D which is like a step-brother to the 782D. I have been using Interstate SP40 batteries for the past several years. They are 340CCA and don't have an issue with getting it started. I DO NOT have the high-torque starter though. I do have a block heater I can use in the winter up in Western NY, but if I haven't used the tractor in a while, and it sounds weak, I will use my trusty Sears Battery Charger/Starter that has a 50 or 75 amp starting setting. I never have an issue in the spring and summer with that battery. I usually get about 5+ years of use out of them.
It appears the new version has a 350CCA rating.
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/sp-40

As a long time owner of a 1512 (MTD version of 782D) the best modifications I have done to help starting are the self regulating glow plugs, then bypassed the "glow wire", adding the high torque gear reduction starter. I do a lot of plowing in the winter here in Michigan, a lot in the dark and added LED lights which also helped. Finally, I got a 20 or 25 amp charging regulator from I think a grasshopper. I use the biggest law and garden battery tractor supply sells. 450cc I think and it starts every time.

jkreutner - As you see with all differnet setups, #1 issues slow cranking especially in cold weather.
I have been able to start at 18F in the winter without heating the coolant with my 350CCA battery and the starter/glowplug mods.

jknight - I like your battery setup. What Odyssey battery part# did you used?
- Found adding a battery to engine ground on my #1 did not make any difference. Both my 782's have
two ground cables. Battery to chassis and chassis to engine endplate.

akiszka - My #2 replace defective OEM VR with a Kumar copy. OK for charging the battery but it gets very hot with the PTO and headlights engaged. Have been think of replace head lamps with LED's and adding rear work lights. Is the Grasshopper VR a direct replacement?

Bob G.

I use a battery out of a mobile chair ,winter and summer it starts. Been using it for four years

I thank you all for the good advice will try using some of your ideas. Here is picture of my 782d it has 475 hours on it and I kind of believe from looks of it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 302
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 323
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 325
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 325
I just replaced the battery in my 782D . Why was there electrical sparkes when connecting the negative cable to battery ?

Key switch was on or you have a short somewhere. It should not do that, regardless of whether or not the positive cable was hooked up first.

Key switch was on or you have a short somewhere. It should not do that, regardless of whether or not the positive cable was hooked up first.
My point was! If the positive was not hooked up and he hooked up the ground first, it would mean there was a back feed somewhere. If the positive was hooked up, then your right on the dead short or even a bad switch.

jkreutner - As you see with all differnet setups, #1 issues slow cranking especially in cold weather.
I have been able to start at 18F in the winter without heating the coolant with my 350CCA battery and the starter/glowplug mods.

jknight - I like your battery setup. What Odyssey battery part# did you used?
- Found adding a battery to engine ground on my #1 did not make any difference. Both my 782's have
two ground cables. Battery to chassis and chassis to engine endplate.

akiszka - My #2 replace defective OEM VR with a Kumar copy. OK for charging the battery but it gets very hot with the PTO and headlights engaged. Have been think of replace head lamps with LED's and adding rear work lights. Is the Grasshopper VR a direct replacement?

Bob G.
Sorry I just saw this yes it was a direct replacement, and has been working fine! I also had some harness damage from the PO that I repaired.

Very good looking 782D, Cool little tractors. I have one also with 3pt. and they are fun to use. I also up dated the starter and glow plugs and it does start much better.

Take care

Matt is absolutely correct, it makes no difference as to which cable is hooked up first. The circuit is open until both cables are connected.
However, from a safety perspective on a negative ground system the positive cable needs to be connected first then covered to prevent accidentally contact with it while hooking up the negative cable. Should you hook the negative cable up first there is a risk of the wrench coming in contact with the frame providing a direct short across the battery. Worst case the battery can explode, you can lose a finger if you are wearing a ring and it connects between the wrench and ground.

Matt is absolutely correct, it makes no difference as to which cable is hooked up first. The circuit is open until both cables are connected.
However, from a safety perspective on a negative ground system the positive cable needs to be connected first then covered to prevent accidentally contact with it while hooking up the negative cable. Should you hook the negative cable up first there is a risk of the wrench coming in contact with the frame providing a direct short across the battery. Worst case the battery can explode, you can lose a finger if you are wearing a ring and it connects between the wrench and ground.
Rig a back feed thru a bad relay or safety switch, leave the positive off, touch the ground and watch the sparks. If you don't know how to do that, I'll be more than happy to fill you in on the details. (y)

Back