• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

782 says don't push

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkuni

displayname
Mel Kuni
My 782 has a tag worded like "Do not push or tow. Will result in damage to transmission" So how does one push/tow a 782? Is there a release so the trans will disconnect or unbolt part of the drive train?

Mel,
You can post questions for your 782 on the main page. ;-P

Anyway, your 782 should have automatic relief valves for the hydro as long as no one has replaced them. If they have and done it right, you should have a handle on your right setting on the tractor that would dis-engage the valves.

If you don't have the lever, the valves release after a little time and you can move the tractor around with no problem. Just don't hook to it and drag it to the car wash behind your car at 30 M.P.H.. LOL

Thanks Charlie, Ahhh-main page?? Do you mean 'IH Cub Cadet Forum' instead of 'CCC and MTD Machines & Equip'? Sorry I'm new here-but haven't needed to push this thing in the last 15 yrs-just runs and runs.
Do you mean the short 8' lever with two (bolt?)holes on the upper end by the right foot rest? And what is the black knob just to the rear of the lever? Mel}

Yepper on the main forum page.

If it does have one which i doubt. It would be attached to the right side of the tunnel cover.
43202.jpg

Mel, the 8 inch lever you mentioned is powered by the hydraulics onboard the tractor, this is how the front implements are raised and lowered. That black knob, so I don't get my wires crossed, get me a pic of it, so I can properly tell you correct information...Glen. post messages like this on the IH Cub Cadet Forum, for more and faster results.
beerchug.gif

OK Charlie, that's what I thought... Just wanted to be sure.

Thanks again Charlie and Glen. I have the service manuel and Kohler manuel, but not the owner's manuel . So that's what those are for-you can tell I don't have front implements. Maybe I should run out and get some front implements now that I know this.Charlie you are right the 782 doesn't have the lever on the tunnel. Later Mel

Mel K:

The 782 came from the factory with "automatic" release valves as Charlie stated. Unless someone converted this hydro back to the older style of release valves with the lever on the tunnel cover, it is unlikely that you have these. As Charlie stated, I have pushed and pulled my CC hydros and have had no issues.

The 782 came with a hydraulic lift for the deck. If so equipped with a sleeve hitch on the rear, would be the another implement lift.

Now "some" of the 782 (rare) had factory installed front ports. These could be used for front implements that used a cylinder. For example, a hydraulic angle for the front push blade. This tractor was actually model 784. However, it is possible that someone has taken the task upon themselves, and have added those ports too.

43207.jpg

Mel, glad to hear it...ebay or plow day shows are the best places to get pretty much any implement for whatever tractor or make, you just have to know where to look. and who to talk to.
thumbsup_old.gif

Mel K: Roland referred to a 784...IH never used that designation on the red ones they made or sold, even after the sale to CCC. It was only used 1982 and after by CCC on the yellow/white 782's, and only found on the ID plate, to indicate the factory installed options the tractor had. The hood decal on any of them continued to show 782. The same applies to the 982s. The ID plate on the yellow & white CCC built and sold units, built 1982 & after, could show 982,984 or 986 but the hood decal only showed 982.

Myron B
CCSupplyoom

OK my 782 is red and white and from the # it's a 1982 model. Now The lever partially shown in Charlie's photo of the height adjusting knob-what does this do? Raise and lower front implements-how do you activate this lever or does it attach to the implements?
Roland-thanks for more clarification and I wish it had the front ports!
Tomorrow I'm trailering it over to my sister-in-law's. Mel

Mel,This lever lifts/loweres the front implements like this:
43216.jpg
43217.jpg
, Although this is a 149, it is sitll basically the same as the 782, but the lifting lever(if hydraulic) is somewhere on the dash(782)and the lever is activated w/the lift lever in the dash...
thumbsup_old.gif

Mel K:

What you refer to as the "lever" is actually the <font color="0000ff">lift arm</font>
43225.jpg

The lift arm is control by a Hydraulic Cylinder under the Tunnel Cover. The cylinder is controled by the hydraulic levers on the left side of your dash.

Front implements (ie: push blade, snowthrower, etc) can be raised and lowered by connecting a lift rod to the lift arm.
43226.jpg

The knob can be loosened and the cam rotated on the lift arm, to restrict the amount of travel or lowering of an implement if you so desire.

Roland and Glen--Thanks for enlightening me on the wonders of the 782. How well will they push dirt with one of those blades? It doesn't snow out here on the west coast, but dirt... I've got lots of that! Mel

Mel,I've got one on my 149 w.AG tires, it loses a little traction, but beats the hell out of digging or grading out piles of dirt by hand...
thumbsup.gif

Mel,

I have a 1712, which in the simplest form is a yellow and white 782, with the front hydraulic ports as standard equipment. The 1712 model was built in 1985 only.

When I bought my 1712, it came with a 54" power angle blade.

This summer I put the tractor and blade to work.

I made/built a 24' in diameter fire ring area in my back yard. Since we had to cut it about 12" into the slope leading down to the creek, we first tilled the area with my 1450, and then pushed the loose dirt to the 'low side', and repeated the process.

Please disregard the date in the corner of the pics, it is incorrect.
43231.jpg

43232.jpg

43233.jpg

I put 23-10.5-12 Carlisle Super Lugs on the rear, and in the pics it has 4 sets of IH weights bolted on. The clay was -super hard-, and when the blade would catch a high spot, and dig in, the tractor would break the tires loose. However when the dirt was already loosened by the tiller, then the 1712 had no problem.

Wild Bill: Look at the ID tag. The factory number will say 145-784-100. That's one of the 784 models Roland mentioned. It still had the KT-17. For 1986, The same tractor was an 1812 but with the 18 hp Magnum and the Factory number being 146-784-100.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Myron: I have never really looked at the ID tag...LOL I'll check it out tomorrow.

You are right, it has the KT17 Series II.
43238.jpg

It is the same tractor as Roland's 784, but most people don't know what a 784 is
lol.gif

Here is a picture of it without the blade and weights
43239.jpg

Back