• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

782 Rebirth Started

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpientka

displayname
Bernie Pientka
Pulled the engineless 782 into the garage and started disassembly.

303886.jpg

While I am not interested in full out restoration I wanted to clean up the tractor and put a fresh coat of paint on. Additionally I was going to go replace the seals in the rear axle and the cork gasket on the pump. Once I opened everything up it looks like the right seal on the pump may have been leaking. The seals on the front and back of the pump look tired. It looks like the left seal may also be leaking slightly. I need to weld up the trunnion.

I have a list of required replacement parts but am now wondering if I should just replace all the seals in the pump while I have the pump out.

Right side seems to have lots of oil and dirt.
303887.jpg

Left side may be starting to show leak.
303888.jpg

Anything else I should look at before I get the degreaser out and clean up?

Pulled everything apart and started to replace seals. The internal brake is new to me. Since I am replacing the other seals on the axle and everything is drained should I also replace the seal on the internal brake? Or maybe they are never a problem.

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks

Yes, if you are in that far, replace it. If you don't, it'll probably start leaking when you put the whole tractor back together again.

Final getting the 782 back together.

Put a used kt17 series II into the tractor. Engine runs great at low to med rpms. Idles good responds to throttle adjustment. Even seems to run ok at med to almost high rpms. When I push the throttle all the way I have a on and off knocking sound. I can even feel it in the steering wheel or if I am touching the tractor. Knocking is not constant but comes and goes.

Any thoughts? While the compress is ok (~100) I know the engine had a hard life.

Check driveline for wobbling couplers....

Well after 1.5 hours of pulling my hair out and with the help of a retired auto mechanic we figured the problem out.

Today I started by replacing the condenser. Got out the timing light and multi meter and started to set timing. I tried and tried to set timing using the static method but it just didn't seem to work. The points were not closing correctly. Seemed that the more I adjusted things the worse things got. Engine was running like crap!

Pull the carb and did a cleaning thinking something was wrong fuel related. Put carb back on and motor idled ok but would sputter and miss fire if I tried to increase the rpm. Adjusting the high speed jet on the carb seemed to do nothing. Figured it had to be spark related. Friend suggested replacing points.

I replaced the points and the engine started to run great. No knocking. No misfire. I noticed that the spring pressure to move the old points was like half the new points. Both sets appeared to be kohler points. So now with the new points and condenser, carb cleaning we are good to go!

Back