• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

782 rear axle swap

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exSW

Since I've already replaced the aluminium CCC rear with the earlier IH rear now I'd like to transplant the late axle shafts into the early rear. I know I have to use the carrier from the aluminium rear end. Are there any other issues or things to change while I'm there?

Maybe. Since pics are this easy. If it's straightforward enough I may do the swap when I mount these.

WP_20200318_16_47_18_Moment.jpg

Easiest way is to swap the ring gear from the IH carrier on the CCC one. That *should* save you from having to touch the pinion depth. Make sure you have a good assortment of carrier shims and some prussian blue to set the contact pattern on the teeth. If you have access to a hydraulic press, you can obtain new rivets from McMaster-Carr and re-fasten the ring gear on as the manufacturer intended.

Easiest way is to swap the ring gear from the IH carrier on the CCC one. That *should* save you from having to touch the pinion depth. Make sure you have a good assortment of carrier shims and some prussian blue to set the contact pattern on the teeth. If you have access to a hydraulic press, you can obtain new rivets from McMaster-Carr and re-fasten the ring gear on as the manufacturer intended.
That's the plan. No press so plan on 5/16" with locknuts as advised here:
http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/transaxl.htm

WP_20200326_14_11_31_Pro.jpg
WP_20200326_14_10_58_Pro.jpg

New diff with old ring gear attached. Now to figure out how to properly shim the diff bearing carriers for proper gear lash.😱

The procedure in the IH version of the service manual has better instructions for shimming the carrier than the CCC one, IMO.

Where are you getting shims, or do you figure you can reuse some of the original ones?

Hope the ends of your bolts and self locking nuts holding the ring gear will clear the side wall ribs of your transmission housing! There's a reason why they used scrivets at the factory.

So, looking at the service manual posted, the pinion needs to be removed, and set diff bearing preload (torque to rotate). But aren't the shims (potentially) going to need to be changed to set the backlash of the ring & pinion? Or is this procedure typically going to take several tries to set up both specs correctly?

Latest posts

Back