• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

782 Power steering conversion

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbextermueller

displayname
Nic Bextermueller
First off, i did use the search function and only found one post on this from '06 that had no replies...

So I was hoping to get some pictures for me to reference. I have a P/S setup from a cyclops that I intended to bolt on my 782 after clearancing the foot rest. But turns out the left front tire hits the steering cylinder when turning left.

So what's the fix? Should I be looking for a super steer axle? Are those wide enough to allow the full range of turning? If that's the case, can you remind me which model tractor had the SS axles to fit an 82 series.

Thanks in advance guys,

SS axle works well....(I have done this conversion on a 782)

Most of the Cyclops machines had the SS axle (bent spindle)

I thought it was you that had done this. Did you have to clearance the foot rest to get the cylinder mount and cylinder to bolt to the factory holes? I need to cut out a 2"x2" area to get it to fit in.

I'll try to get pictures soon.

You need the GT bracket.....

288730.jpg

Hmmm... I should be able to fab that. The odds of finding one for a fair price seems slim.

But I think it's going to require a SS axle. Your tire isn't even close to the cylinder while mine hits before half a turn. Even in the upper more standard location. It seems mounted so low it would barely turn at all.

Been there, done that... I'm helping a buddy install pwr steering on his 782. He went with the super steer front axle. Everything bolted up.Its all done but the hydraulic lines which is no big deal.

I put power steering on my 1450 about a month ago. I didn't buy a super steer axle because I wanted to keep cost down, keep it some what original looking, and didn't want to modify all my attachments. By the way, the SS front axle raises your front end about 2"

Here is my test run. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n6ithehv1lM

This will work on any ported hydro cub

Sorry to ask a kid-glove question, but how do you run the power steering off of the hydro? I thought you'd need a separate pump.

It uses the same hydraulic "charge pump" that both runs the hydraulic lift and charges the hydrostat.

These pumps, by the manual anyway, are not designed to run more than 600 psi. With no load, the hydraulic pressure is between 200 and 250. Only when resistance is met, does the pressure climb to the 550-600 psi range where the relief valve then opens bypassing the higher pressure. This is mainly to protect the pump.

Steve, did you do anything to compensate for the 2" rise from the SS axle? I think I remember you running 26x12's on the rear of your 782. This 782 is for mowing duties only. So reel eking the deck once wouldn't be bad. And it's got new 23x10.5 Firestones on it. No new tires for me for a looong time.

Power steering is starting to look more attractive now that I've attached a snowblower to my 1430. It's very difficult to turn the wheels unless the tractor is moving -- even then, it's no picnic, it's a little machine and simply wasn' intended for all of the weight on the front axles.

Do you think it would be unrealistic to consider power steering for a mower like that? I am not really concerned about practicality, it's sort of a fun hobby/toy. Really I am wondering if the materials for the mower are too delicate.

Mark, you would need to run a separate pump or figure out (pioneer) a way to port the hydro. Not impossible, but would require some ingenuity!

Nic,

26" rear rubber fixes the rake, although it's not too bad with 23" rubber.

Worst "mod" was the QA-42A snow thrower. It took new longer upper arms, notching the subframe for the lower arms, and some clearancing of the auger drive chain guard to make it work with the SS axle. Not hard to do, and well worth it for the performance upgrade the PS is with the thrower on the tractor!!!!

289299.jpg

289300.jpg

289301.jpg

Hmmmm...26" tires. The wife's not going to like that plan, considering I just put brand new 23x10.5 Firestones on it about 3 years ago.

Edit: I would like to move the 'stones over to the 128 and get tri-ribs for it too. This 782 is going to be her main mower when it's finished. So maybe she can get the full upgrade to 26" 'stones and V61s too.

Back