• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

782 died while hot, most likely problem?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeBrindle

So I was mowing with the 782 the other day when it coughed a few times and just died. I thought it might have a bad coil since it had been running rough at the very end of a long day my previous use. Anyway, when I went to attempt starting again when cool the lights came on at the first position and the starter selenoid audibly clicked but the starter wouldn't start. What is best place to start my search for issue? Last time I used tractor it was difficult starting and I smelled wiring smoking under dash. Is key switch most likely here?

Thanks to all

Check the connector at the ignition switch. If it is melted, you will probably need a new switch, one new female terminal (most likely on the battery wire) and a new 5-pin connector housing.

VERY common problem on these, as Matt stated above. Fortunately, a new switch and switch pigtail that you splice into the harness are readily available. Also, check both glass fuses, which should be located on the lower dash tower.

The last time I tried to start my 782D smoke came from under the battery on the left . Have not explored , a lot to rem

Left as you are looking at the front of the machine, or left as you are sitting on it? The starter, circuit breaker, and voltage regulator are on the left of the machine as you are looking at the front.

Sitting in the seat the smoke came from the left side under the battery . As you know you should be in the seat to start it .

The key switch is on that side as you are sitting on it. Hope it something minor, but keep a fire extinguisher handy when you are troubleshooting it.

Rather than throwing $50-$100 solutions at the problem, I would suggest checking $0 solutions. Battery terminals and ground connections, especially that one under the battery box.

The wiring smoking under the dash is a telltale sign of the ignition switch connector having issues. It will be very obvious if that is the problem, and fixing that is not 'throwing $$$ at the problem'.

This is a VERY common issue on these machines.

The wiring smoking under the dash is a telltale sign of the ignition switch connector having issues. It will be very obvious if that is the problem, and fixing that is not 'throwing $$$ at the problem'.

This is a VERY common issue on these machines.
Where would I find a switch ?

Yes, I do have a gas 782, not a diesel 782d. Wish I had a diesel, but still a gas series II 17hp Kohler with an oil filter has been pretty kind to me, especially since I bought it last spring for $500. As I already owned an 1811 for about 20 years, I am pretty aware of most glitches in these units. My 1811 has over 2300 hours and is still running fairly well though I need to rebuild the starter and it backfires if shut down at high throttle when hot.

Just curious as to why you shut the 1811 off at a high throttle? Much like engaging the PTO, shutting the engine off is best done at a low enough RPM to get the job done.

It is best to idle for for 5 min and then shut it off. Things need time to cool down.

It's afterfiring (not backfiring) when you shut it off at full throttle because the muffler is getting filled with the unburnt fuel/air mixture that goes through the engine and then gets ignited by something hot in the muffler.

Back