• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

782 cub repair

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First thing I checked the compression and found 110 on both sides. Cleaned and gaped the plugs. Grounded them against the engine and turned it over. Both plugs arched ok. Reinstalled the plugs and tried to start. No luck. pulled the plugs again and saw no signs of fuel.

Pulled the carb off and removed the top. WOW have never seen one that dirty.
782 cub 037.JPG

Scrapped out all I could and left in cleaner 48 hours and still didn't it very clean. Hope it will be good enough.

Put the carb back on and tried to start it. It turned over a few times and fired up. Engine sounded ok but I could not stop the mower blades from turning. Must be a bad switch or a bad PTO.

Checked out the switch and found out it was bad. Replaced it and it did not solve the problem. Took the pto off and checked it out.782 cub 052.JPG

The magnetic fields were ok but the front bearing was locked up. Pressed it out and replaced it and all seems to be ok.

Worked on the steering gear today. The wrenches needed was 13/16 and a 15/16. Not a very common size. Tried to remove the can follower but it will not unscrew from the outside. It has to be screwed all the way to get it out. You can't do that without removing the main shaft out. You don't have enough room to do that unless you remove the steering column. I just did that on a 1650 and it was not a fun job. So I am just going to leave the cam follower installed and install the Ross easy steering upgrade. I did that on the 1650 and it made a big difference. All it is a harden washer, thrust bearing, and a lock nut.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 387
Just now got back to finishing the rest of things to do on this tractor. Just in time for the first of this years grass. Last pictures before using.

Attachments

• CIMG4433.JPG
    CIMG4433.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 409
  • CIMG4437.JPG
    CIMG4437.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 403
  • CIMG4431.JPG
    CIMG4431.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 395
  • CIMG4447.JPG
    CIMG4447.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 399
  • CIMG4442.JPG
    CIMG4442.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 385
NICE with a capital N! Hope the 782 I'm looking at next week has the potential to look this good when I'm done with it!

This is what I like to see - something that was set back, replaced and forgotten brought back to life by someone with an eye for potential and the willingness to work towards making it happen. Very good job! Enjoy making the neighbors envious...😁

Back