• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

782 cub cadet engine problems

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hschroeder

displayname
howard schroeder
Was offered a 782 Cub Cadet w/50" deck & snow blower for $450. BUT motor doesn't run & claims he doesn't know why. Going to look at it, but I seem to remember reading about Kohler engine problems and/or changes made for that model. Would appreciate input. I'm not a motor nerd.

The 782 should have a KT-17 twin cylinder. They have a pressurized lube system that was poor in their first attempt. They Made a second version with much better results. This second version is known as “Series II”. It has a much better pressurized oiling system, and all Series II, and no Series I KT-17s will have a plate covering ports for a remote oil filter. A Series II would be worth much greater effort to bring back to life, but for the equipment and the money, you might consider a repower anyway.

Here are a couple of photos of that plate:

Attachments

• 07998444-4B2A-49EC-A598-1AC28DA80C74.jpeg
    07998444-4B2A-49EC-A598-1AC28DA80C74.jpeg
    797.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 6A512B11-2E13-4943-BE81-A62FC7C6F7DD.jpeg
    6A512B11-2E13-4943-BE81-A62FC7C6F7DD.jpeg
    531 KB · Views: 0
will have a plate covering ports for a remote oil filter.
Not all KT-17 Series II had that provision. The Kohler engine ( Series II ) in my 782, did NOT have that block off plate.

Thanks for letting us know Roland.

Was offered a 782 Cub Cadet w/50" deck & snow blower for $450. BUT motor doesn't run & claims he doesn't know why. Going to look at it, but I seem to remember reading about Kohler engine problems and/or changes made for that model. Would appreciate input. I'm not a motor nerd.
The first KT17s failed when oil level was low and tractor was run on an incline, they weren't fully pressurized but had a "spray" system using using an oil pump -- the Series II added oil ports through critical parts like modern engines. Eventually on the M18's which replaced the KT17, Kohler added the Oil Sentry system that shut down the motor when oil level got too low.

Eventually on the M18's which replaced the KT17, Kohler added the Oil Sentry system that shut down the motor when oil level got too low.
Well, not on the 1806/1810/1811/1812/1872/2072. The Kohler Sentry system was simply a pressure switch screwed into the oil galley that was designed to illuminate a red dash oil light if the pressure was below 5psi. The engine would not shut down, and was not connected to the magneto in any way.

I'm no motor nerd, just a guy with a 782 with a KT17 series 1. I'll wisper.... "it's running good". I watch the oil level and consistency like a hawk and change it regularly, keep the carb tuned, and I don't run the PTO all day in the summer, as I had experienced a bit of overheating in the past. I also put a fuel filter and in line fuel shut off to keep excess fuel from leaking through the carb float valve. Over the years I owned it, I changed the plugs & wires, cleaned the points and changed the ignition coil. All small potatos and it tells me when it needs attention. I'm learning to listen.

I guess my question for you is what has been done to diagnose the engine issue? Are you sure it's an engine lube issue? Does the crank turn or is it seized? I'd start there. What else is known about this machine?

IMHO the 782 even withe the less desired KT17 series 1 is a formidable machine.

I would do a compression check if possible. If not a fuel problem, the ignition coils do quit in these engines. With everything getting way more expensive the ignition parts are still cheap. I usually replace all ignition parts anyhow when getting an older tractor just to eliminate those causes when troubleshooting — probably for less than $50 would be worth it and piece of mind. While in the motor I would also replace the starter or do the service to keep the pinion gear from hanging up.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments about the 782 motor & what to look for. Hopefully I'll get to see tractor this weekend (owner out of town). He had other people looked at it past 6 weeks-motor problem probably scared them off. Have no need for deck & snow blower. Will be checking for replacement motor (if necessary) this week.

Back