• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

'61 Original Refurb Ser. #8213

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraig - that is SO cool! Ever actually power anything with it? Still flirting with my grill idea! Goofy but why not? While I'm at it - any harm in pulling the driveshaft stub out of the reduction housing to replace the seal? Any other advice or suggestions welcome.

Terry, it's not mine. I didn't even take the photo, I just posted the photo from my archives. What was your grill idea?

Do you have the Chassis Service Manual for the Original? No need to remove the drive shaft to replace the seal. Here's some excerpts:

256437.jpg

256438.jpg

Terry looking good

Kraig do you have any other veiws of that ALL-Power unit, you could post in sandbox for us?

Well Kraig - even if it's not yours it's still VERY cool. Grill idea (fat chance of it happening) is to take my spare stuff and make an Original rolling grill. Could use the steering wheel with some type of flexible coupling to make a manual rotisserie with it. Probably done many times before but nice conversation piece nonetheless. Just saw the back half of a VW being converted to a grill for a local club.

Jeff, here's the only other image I can find of it right now. Sorry, the original photo was of another Cub and this was just in the corner. It appears to be connected up to a generator.

256440.jpg

Some progress today. Stripping paint on rear end and starting to look good. Check out my tranny lift. Lots of people use em - called a Hoyer Lift. Used for transporting medical patients and has a 400 lb lift capacity. They bend a couple different ways and are cheap! Paid $50 for mine but they actually cost around $600 new - or more.

256446.jpg

All wrapped up for day and a little progress to report. Tranny is CLEAN and the reduction housing shaft seal is out. When they say to remove the seal by prying it out with a screwdriver I think what they meant was to get 3 or 4 screwdrivers, a hammer, chisel and a small stick of dynamite and it should just pop right out. Anyway, it is out, bearings look good and hit em with a little MMO and assembly lube to slick em up.

Clean tranny!
256472.jpg

More clean tranny
256473.jpg

Seal gone!
256474.jpg

Kraig thanks for the extra pic, eye-candy for thought

Terry Davis

The trick to getting the seal out is to use a sheet metal screw. Turn the screw into the seal in two place on a large seal and that screw head will give you a point to pry the seal put. BTDT

Donald - thought about that but was concerned about what was on the other side if I drilled too far. I'll definitely go with your suggestion next time. Just glad it's out and no blood anywhere. Take care up there and always enjoy your posts. Also, go ahead and drop a set of headlights in the mail for me at your convenience.

Couple questions as to whether the items below are correct or not.

Correct # of holes?
256516.jpg

Bent bracket?
256517.jpg

Terry,
1. Yes
2. No

If you would go to the Manuals page and either download, or look at, the Operators Manual and the Service Manuals, you could find the answer's to a lot of your questions, and probably quicker than waiting for someone to answer online.

Paul - thank you very much for your help and I'll definitely print off more of the manuals. Have the chassis manual but sound like I need the others as well. As for the holes, I've seen a number of pics shower "other holes" but wasn't certain if those were drilled later for various attachments so just wanted to be sure what I have is correct. Again, thank you for helping.

Workin on the clutch and have a couple questions. First, the bearing and collar that go on the front of the clutch assembly have fairly egg shaped holes where the drive shaft runs through - assuming they aren't supposed to be that way? And two, both of my Original engines have the mufflers plumbed as in the picture below and wondering what is actually correct. I'm pretty certain the muffler is wrong but just not sure on the plumbing. I've seen pics of all different setups so they can't all be right. Thanks

Bearing and collar
256616.jpg

Muffler
256617.jpg

Terry Davis

If your rebuilding the O ; replace any parts you question. put all your used left over parts in a bag and seal it. put the bag somewhere where you will find it with a paper list of what is in the bag.

256621.jpg

Here it is before I removed the engine to paint the original.

256622.jpg

Donald - good idea! Gonna have lots left over and may look for a roller some day since I have a good engine and most other stuff except front frame and dash tower. Yours actually looked good BEFORE it was painted.

Got the clutch assembly loosely pieced together, except questionable bearing and collar and think its all there.

BTW - looked at a Farmall Super M yesterday and the headlights on that dude looked REALLY close to Original lights!! Maybe the same?

256625.jpg

Anybody have a good source for 23x6x12 ag tires? Have looked a bit and seems like the 6 inch tires are few and far between. Don't know if ags were an option on the Os but I kinda like the look, especially the skinny ones. Also love the big fatties (tires) but just not on this one.

Terry - I bought these tru powers for my 61 original at first . Then I thought what a shame to not keep it Original lol; but the tri ribs will stay on my 61 O. The The tru powers found there way onto the 125. I had a offer to sell and I might put turfs back on the 125 for him. It does make an O look sweet with tri ribs on front and tru powers on the back. Well I think so and with my Cubs I`am the one that they have to please!
Here are the tru powers on my 125.

256633.jpg

super lugs are a hard compound tire and wheel IF you choose them you might as well leave the old tires on. hard compound tires don`t help much with traction. The tru Powers are a soft rubber and are great .

Donald - I LOVE the looks of tru powers and plan to put a set on my 122 next time Miller Tire is doing a swap meet in this area. Too cheap to pay shipping. Also, you may already know but Carlisle super lugs are bout gone and being discontinued. As for my O, I honestly just want the skinny ags for looks. And I LOVE the tri ribs too. I saw a picture of a sweet lookin O recently with the ags and tri ribs and thought it was cool. Have two sets of original tires and will just hang on to them in case I ever decide to put em back on. BTW - are those tru powers 10.5?

Back