• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

'61 Original Refurb Ser. #8213

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbdavis

displayname
Terry Davis
Well all, gonna try my hand at an Original refurb. Just acquired this unit a couple weeks ago, along with a '63 parts O, and making a little progress including the following:
1. Power washed the tractor
2. Removed engine and stripped it bare
3. Thoroughly cleaned carb/sediment bowl
4. Pulled aluminum stuffing from oil bath air cleaner and degreased
5. Pulled collars/spindles and steering linkage
6. Removed steering assembly and cleaned thoroughly
7. Removed rear axles and pulled old seals out
8. Disassembled clutch assembly and inspected everything

I've sent lots of stuff to the sandblaster and should have back next week. As for the engine (original k161) I'm hoping to get by with simple honing/rings/valves but too early to know for sure.

At this juncture I'm hoping to get some advice as to what else to do with the tranny. I've removed all plugs, shifter assembly and rear axles and plan on removing the reduction housing and degreasing everything tomorrow. Are there other seals, etc. that should be inspected/replaced before reassembly? While it's apart I would like to address any issues before I replace all the gaskets and zip it up for stripping paint. Any advice whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and I'll begin posting pics tomorrow when I have better light.

worthless.gif

We care, but I'll stand behind the emoticon.

Frank - hear you loud and clear and couldn't agree more. Pics promised tomorrow and I actually know how to do it now.

Ok Frank - as promised! Looking for feedback as to anything wrong or suspect. Haven't given anything a bath yet but will today. Everything spins freely and not seeing lots of slop but honestly not certain what to look for. Shifter is off and a little shy about taking it down further without a little guidance. Manual doesn't seem to cover much on that but could be missing something. Thanks

all!

256281.jpg

256282.jpg

256283.jpg

256284.jpg

256285.jpg

A little progress to report and questions as usual. Removed reduction housing, cleaned off all gasket surfaces and gave everything a good degreasing, blew dry, and hit innards with a light coat of WD40 to tide it over till I refill with HyTran. I've posted pics below along with questions.

Spins sorta ok - should I replace bearing or whatever is inside that dude.
256326.jpg

Going to sandblast - any harm in removing spring and pulling unit apart?
256327.jpg

Just threw this in for grins - kinda sad.
256328.jpg

Again all, trying to do repairs while it's apart and hopefully won't have to pull back out after its painted and reinstalled. BTW - good weather today and nice to be able to work outside for a change!

Terry,
Someone once had that setup with the engine in it and call it a Cub Cadet Power Unit.

Tom - would kinda make for an interesting grill with the hood and all and you could even tweak the steering and make a hand operated rotisserie with it! Now ya got me thinking bout that parts tractor!!!

Terry, I wouldn't get too carried away with sandblasting the trans/rear end case unless it's completly sealed up and you have all the seal area taped tight. Sand/dust/grit will get into all kinds of places you don't want it to be and then you will have no choice but to take it all apart. That goes for the shifter shaft and plate also unles you completly dissassemble it.

It will also have to be free of caked on greas/oil before blasting. The sand will just bounce off those areas that are not cleaned down to the painted surface.

And be carefull with the hood so's it don't get warped.

Been there done that with auto/truck restorations.

I'll be lurking in the background on this one as I also have an O to do one of these days.

Good Luck!!

Dave S.

David - appreciate your comments for sure. What I've been doing is sandblasting all the steering, frame and the usual stuff but not the rear ends. Scares me just thinking about all those little hiding places. Also, I've never completely disassembled a transmission and not real keen on learning how to any time soon. What ice been doing is zipping them up good, then use paint stripper to get most of it off then hitting it with the ole angle grinder to finish. For the hood I generally use the DA sander but I have blasted a couple with no problem - YET! I really like the simplicity of this little dude and certainly wish you the best of luck with your O. I know there are folks on here that have WAY more knowledge than me but I am taking lots of pics along the way and who knows - just maybe they'll help someone else down the road.

On the trans, I'd go with a strong detergent and the pressure or better yet steam cleaner. I <u>strongly do not recommend</u> using a sand blaster on it.

One last pic for today. It's a pic of the spot on the hood that catches on the pointed latches on the dash tower. Both of my O hoods show similar wear patterns and curious what others have done insofar as repairs and if anyone has altered anything to prevent future problems. Thanks

256332.jpg

Tom, not gonna sandblast the tyranny but would like to take apart the shifting assembly and sandblast the shifter arm, plate that mounts to the tranny and the spring. If I drive the pin out that holds the spring in place what's gonna happen? Also looks like a pin or something protruding from one side of the ball that's under the spring? Also, is that a bearing in the reduction housing where the driveshaft comes thru?

Well, not much Cubbin today but did get brave enough to pull the shifter assembly apart and have a look. Everything looks ok but needs some cleaning and oiling. Used my valve spring compressor to loosen up the spring enough to pop the shaft pin out, then tapped on the end of the shifter till everything came through the bottom of the cover. Still curious about removing the driveshaft from the reduction housing and looking for advice before I go at it blindly. Just trying to avoid leaks after painting and figure now is the time to get on it. Thanks

Shifter assembly!
256374.jpg

Terry, Hope your project turns out wonderful, and that you enjoy the time and work. A restore OR a refurb all MUST start with sparkling, ultra-clean metal, NO exceptions. Save yourself some money, and gain enjoyment by not choosing to have everything hauled off to the sand man blaster. That's all from me. I appreciate your time and project.

Hey John - appreciate your input and hear you on the sandblasting. I usually sand/strip/clean most of the smaller stuff myself but when it comes to the frame and items with lots of nooks and crannies I generally take the easy way out with Mr. Sandblaster. I will note that it gets expensive pretty quick. Agree on the clean part and sort of learning what works along the way. I'm retired and can't begin to express how much I enjoy messing with these things. Spent my whole working career in finance so this is a whole new gig for me. Just wish I would have started with these things a long time ago and when $ were more plentiful. I got the bug bad!! Thanks again.

Thank you Terry! You have helped me out. This forum for me is flat out awesome. Ok, you might try looking into a Dremel tool. This is easy to use, and highly efficient in rust removal, and making things ready for painting. Now, I'll take the cotton out of my ears, and put it in my mouth and enjoy the forum, just as I always have, Thanks!

John - couldn't agree more regarding the forum. Were it not for the advice I've gotten thus far, I doubt very seriously that I would even be messing with these little dudes. I'm guessing my frustration and general ineptitude would have long ended what has become a full time hobby. Have a good one!

John - just found this pic of the pump off my 147. Good ole elbow grease on that one!

256423.jpg

Goal for today - remove paint from all rear end components. As an aside - the tranny fluid looked like Log Cabin syrup when I drained it out. Was still a slight hint of red but lots of gummy sludge. Thankfully no discernible metal shavings. Thing isn't gonna know how to act with fresh juice in there!

Terry, here's a photo of what Tom was referring to:

256435.jpg

Latest posts

Back