• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

582 stuck clutch

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfrashure

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Tim Frashure
Ok, geniuses, what's the best known way to unstick the clutch without tearing them up? Have a 582 that a dropped a 12hp Magnum into and so far only thing I've ran into besides a stuck clutch was the governor spring. Spring has been fixed but clutch is still stuck and appears not to be in pieces yet. I have been oiling it but just jamming in gear to get project moved around. Pretty sure when i tried the putty knife trick on the 122, I ended up breaking and replacing the clutches, would prefer not to go down that road again. I get this thing working again going to try and make it a 1282? What will the correct # be for a 582 with 12 hp kohler?

Screwdriver always worked for me.
You do have the clutch lever depressed and locked, correct?
Is the clutch disc stuck to the plates or the rear plate stuck on the shaft? or both?

Mine sometimes does that in the spring.. I let the engine heat and vibration do the work.. If it does not free up right away, I ride it around the back yard while I hold the clutch pedal down .. Works every time..

Ok i didnt mess with it any today, it was raining. Motor has been ran for maybe 10 minutes. Read somewhere to put in 3rd gear and drag it? I think clutch plates are stuck to clutch. Been letting it soak for a couple days. Tractor has been sitting idle for long time, id say at least 5 years. If not raining may play with it tomorrow, let u know any updates.

Ok its freed up. Sprayed wih penefree and drove around with clutch pedal depressed. After examining i think rear plate was froze to friction disc. Nobody warned me about it resticking, lol. Had to make another lap slipping clutch more than normal. Seemed ok when i parked it.

As David mentioned up thread, to prevent it freezing up in the future, always lock the clutch pedal down when parking it.

I did and have suggested to everybody i know with a wet brake rearend to do the same. Not convinced that is way to go on a tractor with disc brakes?

Well everybody has limited space, 50 cub cadets take up rm and this had a B&S engine so it doesnt get preferred treatment such as the diesels or super garden tractors.

Well, I was going to order decals and put 1282 stickers on it, but apparently 1282s have hydrostats. This 582 now is a 12 hp kohler powered machine with a manual trans, what do I call it. I was good with evens being manuals but I guess the 82 series threw that to the wind. Just keep it a 582 and only curious minds figure out it is a single cylinder? Call it a 1281 and mess with everybody's head? What are your thoughts? I've read posts where you guys have made up a number for what you created. Yes it is red.

Latest posts

Back