• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

582 Special weird electrical issue

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twilliams

displayname
Thomas Williams
Finally put my 582 Special back together after 2 years of neglect. Took it apart down to the frame rails. When I got it all back together, I turned the key....nothing. I jumped the solenoid with a screwdriver....fired right up. Shut it off using the choke. Decided to replace the ignition switch. Two connectors on the back of the switch, one 5 connection molded plug and one single connection plug. Ignition switch has 6 prongs. New switch comes from CC, only 5 prongs. I hook up the 5 plug connector and it fires right up and turns off normally. What to do with the single plug connector that now has no home? I check the wiring diagram....it only shows the single 5 plug connector. The single plug has 2 wires - one tan/blue and one gray. The diagram shows the gray runs to the alternator and the tan/blue to the PTO switch. Explains why the PTO isn't working. The wiring diagram shows these two wire connecting to the ignition switch, but through the five plug connector. Everything looks stock....what do I do? Wire the blue/tan and gray wires in somehow? CC says they have no clue. I checked my parts tractor and it is exactly the same.

Thomas - According to the wiring diagram the blue/tan and the gray connect to the same ignition switch spade so yes you need to hook it in together.

Myself I'd either strip back the insulation on the blue/tan and solder the gray to them and heat shrink it but you'll have to cut the blue/tan in two to get the shrink tube on first, or I'd see if I could get the spade end out of the plastic (which I've done before) and solder the gray there and put it back in (or use a new spade with all three wires).

Don't use one of those blue fold over crimp on splicers as they get corroded and fouled up later on.

Latest posts

Back