• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

582 special mis-fire

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbuttke

displayname
Lonny Buttke
I happen to have a 582 speical with a twin cylinder 16 hp Briggs and Scrapem motor in it. ( I know silly me) The other day I went to fire it up to mow the grass and it was only fireing on one cylinder.

Seems the left cylinder(as seen from the seat) spark plug died.

SO! I pull the plug, and hop on the rice grinder and head to town for a couple of new plugs.

Get back home, install new plugs in both cylinders, so far so good.

Twist the key and it fires up only to run on the left cylinder and no fire on the right cylinder.

Old spark plug is a Champion CJ12C new replacement spark plug is a Champion CJ12YC

Put old plug back in and it now fires on both cylinders.

Whats up?

I did find the problem but only after a few choice words tossed in the direction of the counter man at the hardwear store where I purchased the plugs.

Anyone care to guess what the problem was?

Lonny - How many times do I have to tell you that you're not holding your mouth right when you turn the key ?

I'd say that you had a bad plug wire.
Either that or the Milkyway was replaced by Snickers and got the stars all out of alignment with the cosmos ...

Problem solved once the CJ12YC plug was removed, the electrode is aprox 1/4 inch past the threads and the old CJ12C is a flush fit.

One of the valves, opened up and hit the plug slamming the gap shut, I could see the mark on the plug and a nice shinney mark in the valve.

Funny thing is on the left side of the motor the CJ12YC works just fine, plug hole must be located in a different place within the head.

Back