• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

582 plow tractor

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I can't post here since my serial number shows my 582 was made in the first weeks after MTD took ownership. Only thing different coming off the line was the serial. However, I may have the same opposed Briggs two banger with 18 horses. Not sure of carb style since this is my only Cub and farming is my game. Sadly it sits as a non-performing asset. Maybe I will take the carb off and take the risk that I can get it back on right. I have the PDF manual but finding carb settings is not as easy as I wish.
Did ya forget about the FAQ's. Cub Cadet FAQ

wow... Just last week the same problem cropped up on my 582. Can't seem to keep gas going. new filter no help. Clean out gas tank no help. I think my fuel was corrupted because I had not run the machine since spring. Now the carb is clogged I think.
You might want to make sure your gas cap is venting, then remove the line from the carb and see if you have good flow to the carb. If you don't, check to make sure the line hasn't collapsed. If not, then it's an internal carb issue.

I followed Steve Blunier’s advice and rebuilt the pump. I was able to accomplish that successfully and it definitely made a difference in my tractor running. I still need to adjust the carb a little more but that it what it took in my case. I hope that yours is something simple like Charlie suggested, cap vent, collapsed line, fuel filter, etc...

Never considered vent cap. It has the high pressure braided gas lines so collapsing one is difficult. Thanks. Life prevents much concentration on this project at the moment. Life would be easier if the thing ran and I could get stuff moved. I think I have cap venting issues with an old BCS walk behind tractor that runs 15 minutes than dies.
Thank you to all.

I am finally working on getting the 582 setup for plowing. The 3 pt is painted and about 80% installed. I have a couple of brackets to make and a few more fasteners to install. The Cat O will be in place and then I have to focus on why the transmission won’t go into third gear.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this will shift into 1,2, or R without any difficulty but 3rd gear is impossible? It just grinds and won’t shift into high gear. I’m headed to a plow day on Saturday and I really hope that I can solve this high gear problem before then.

9BC93951-E695-4221-AFF6-1C122F10240A.jpeg

So an update on the RedHead...I got the top of the tranny opened up and looked it over, I couldn’t see any visible signs of damage to the shifting mechanism but the gears are pretty heavily worn. I think I just need to pony up and buy myself some new gears.
769EA517-B891-417B-94A6-F052B9E5EDB0.jpeg

I have several objectives in building this plow mule:
—clearance
—gear drive
—adjustability with Cat O
—power
—speed
—assisted lift
Here is how I am going about it. Some would say, “Just put a Cat O on your 1772 and call it good!” Definitely tempting,
but I really am a fan of plowing with a GD.
A2970A0B-4C66-4CA1-8468-4281DBB14DC8.jpeg

So, I have been in the hunt for the right set of rear tires for a couple of years now. I have never liked the options in the GT market for size but I also haven’t cared for the options in the ATV/UTV market for style until now. These tires were sourced by a Wheel Horse buddy of mine. They are ATV tires that are 27x7.50-12. They have a really heavy lug, almost like an implement tire.
CA9DCDF4-4C51-4EDB-90C1-AAE2E636C871.jpeg

Obviously, they were a little too tall to fit under the stock fender pan and so I added 1” of square stock under the mounting locations to give me the needed clearance.
77A7DD50-A78A-49F5-B12B-CBD2AA8B6C5F.jpeg

I had an extra Super axle from a cyclops that I had parted a couple of years ago. I decided to use this for my axle because it is about 20# heavier, raises the front by 2”, and will handle all the abuse that I throw at it!
1597B0D2-E01F-413E-879A-FE2B10BA3B61.jpeg
I was in a rush to get the tractor ready for a local plow day and so I put in some long hours on it.
1EF2C2D2-B857-4B8C-AE35-8CD4CC8EE4BB.jpeg

This didn’t afford me the time of doing everything that I still need to do. However, it was enough incentive to actually get my rear in gear and start to fulfill this dream!

For now the tractor will have manual steering although I could install PS if I ever have the urge.
38CBCB04-F6EB-4BD3-AB1C-A48643ED6377.jpeg

I picked up this Cat O plow about 5 years ago for a really good deal on thanksgiving weekend. I have never seen another one like it in person although I have found brochures for them online. They appear to be from the mid to late 60’s and are quite rough in appearance compared to the later model Brinly’s.
FB05E42F-F225-4496-9BDF-FE633BF79073.jpeg

They look much like they were built by an amateur in his garage rather than in a factory by a segment leader! However, I always like something a little unique.
C067FC8C-AE66-4EBE-8FE1-63359595B2C2.jpeg

I found out in a hurry that it was almost impossible to lift the Cat O with manual lift! I had hopes that I could do it but it is just way too much work! So, my first winter project for this machine is to science out my Hydraulic system as we covered on the previous page.
1E0867F6-055B-4A9E-B803-425B30DCDE5B.jpeg

The tractor did a good job of plowing on its maiden voyage considering it is still running the old opposed Briggs and factory clutch setup. I absolutely love the ground clearance and the bite from those tires.

I’ll keep you posted as I continue this build...

Latest posts

Back