• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

582 Engine won't turn over

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlneyhard

displayname
Rob Neyhard
Hello,

I have a 582 with the 16HP 656cc model 402417 engine. It had been running great until the engine seemed to just stale out and wouldn't start. The engine won't even turn over.

Failed attempts to start:
-PTO is turned off
-Bypass starter solenoid (solenoid is fine)
-Pulled starter and tested (starter is fine)

I'm pretty handy but have never worked on this engine before and am not too familiar with 4-stroke small engines.

I don't really want to give up on the engine and would love to bring it back to life but I'm not really sure where to start.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
-Rob

Check your saftey switches if one is open it won't start

Rob,, welcome to the forum. When on the main list of topics go to the bottem and find manuals then go to rolands wiring diaghrams, you will find a picture for 682 this should be close to your 582. So as mike said check ALL your safety switchs

Does the crank turn/move at all? Remove PTO belt and center cover and verify you can turn it over by hand (drive shaft moves with clutch out).

If it won;t turn over by hand it's more serious than wiring. If it does turn over, then start chasing wiring issues.

Assuming it's free.......Since it is a Mag fired ignition system, you should be able to disconnect the engine wiring harness, electric PTO, and starter wiring then use a booster pack directly on the starter terminals to start it (eliminating all of the safety interconnects, etc. in the harness). MAKE $%#$@ SURE it's in NEUTRAL and clutch is pushed in/locked down when you do this!!!!! If it runs this way, start chasing electrical issues. (note, you will have to ground the mag or choke it to death to kill it with the wiring harness disconnected).

Jeff,

NOte, the 582 is Mag ignition and the 682 is coil, so the ignition circuits will be different.

PTO switch is where I would start if proves to be electrical. All of the safety circuits and starting circuit run through the PTO switch and they are known for occasionally going bad (both internally, and at the connector behind them).

Also check fuse in dash.

All the electrical seems fine and the PTO clutch is working. I can't turn the engine over by hand. Guess I need to decide if its worth replacing the engine or spending the time to dissemble and attempting to fix it.

Thank you

Put a channel locks or wrench on it and see if it will turn over either direction.

Sounds like you may have had a rod let go and it's jammed on something inside.

They are not too bad of an engine to rebuild......BTDT.....

Also, take the electric clutch off...sometimes the bearings lock up and put everything in a bind.

Did you figure out the problem with the 582? Were the 582 set up to accept a hydraulic pump for lift?

Thanks

Take the Plugs out and see if it will turn over. Huge issue with all carbureted equipment is ETHANOL GAS. The alcohol eats up the Needle valve and/or the Needle valve seat. Without this 'shutoff' function of the Carb, Gas continues to Flow from carburetor to Cylinder to Crankcase.
You may have Hydrolocked the engine with too much fuel. Pull the plugs and see if you can crank, Also pull the dipstick and see if the crankcase is over full and smells like gas.
I literally got my 782 for free because of this issue

Like the others said, check the oil to see if there's gas in your crankcase. If not, then pull the plug(s) and see if it will turn. If not that, then pull the PTO off and see if you can turn the engine with a pair of channel locks in either direction. Try to do it in that order as each step is escalating the time to disassemble.

I am inclined to think it's either hydrolocked or has had a catastrophic failure. If it was a compression issue involving the plugs then you'd probably be able to wobble the flywheel at least a little.

Back