• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

582 Engine Replacement Options

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcasagrande

displayname
Toby Casagrande
Hi, got a 582 with a bad 16 hp Briggs motor, short of dropping $1000.00 for a Honda replacement engine, what are my best options for a motor? (doesnt hav to be new...im havin a hard time finding a 402437...)

Thanks!

When I built my 582 I put in a Kohler Magnum 18. Many Cubs used these, so they are plentiful. If you want any details on that let me know, it's almost a bolt-in swap, the only major difference is, you'll need a different 3-pin clutch driver.

Matt, Im interested in the details regarding installation, wiring, etc. Can you get em new? rebuilt?

Thanks!

Okay, let's see. You'll need the engine mounting plate and the spacers that go between it and the engine from any Cub Cadet that was powered with an M18 or M20. I imagine you could buy these motors new, but at a cost of $2000 give or take. You could find one needing a rebuilt and rebuild it. I'd put a want ad in the classifieds. There are plenty of great used motors out there, you just have to look. I bought an 1862 cheap because it was rough, and put the motor in my 582, and have been selling parts from the 1862 to make back the cost of the motor.

You'll need to get a muffler and shroud from an 82 series tractor that used a Kohler twin.

I made a driveshaft for mine because I did away with the rag joints and used a solid coupler at the back of the driveshaft. Then I was able to use a clutch driver from a NF/early WF, which are much easier to find than the 800/1000/1200 ones you'd need if you kept the rag joints.

As far as wiring, I'll look into that. I made my own wiring harness, I'll have to see if I can figure out how to alter your 582 wiring harness to make this work. Is your serial number below 719,999? The harnesses changed at that serial number and I need to know where to start...

The Original Briggs 16hp and a Mag18 Kohler both use the same type ignition....magneto....."open circuit" to run, "short to ground" to kill. Both engines should have 2 wires in the harness, one going to the magneto and one to the rectifier/regulator......match them up and all will be just fine.

Note:

The Mag 18/20 may have an oil pressure idiot light that's one more wire in the harness, but it's very easy to trace that out to the right front side of the block.

The above statements DO NOT APPLY to the KT series Kohlers, that used battery ignitions and points. If you just connect the wires on that swap you will fry the $75 magneto/magnetron unit and cuss yourself for doing it!!!

Toby:

"IF" you go to a KT or M Series Kohler, I have the Wiring Diagrams. I also have the modification kit information for the M-18/20 application.

thumbsup_old.gif

Thanks fellas, Ive come across a Briggs 18 that im gonna try...if it doesnt work, Ill be buggin yous for the diagrams!

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back