• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

516 has been found Again!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
516c.jpg

516a.jpg

516b.jpg

New guy here and curious.
What is the significance of that particular tractor? There has to be an interesting back story on it for you to post it on here.

Charlie, very cool! Thanks for the new photos and letting us know it's still around in Indiana. Though it's been know to be in Indiana for some time now, Hank Will's book has a photo of it and mentions it as being in Indiana. Supposedly owned by Herb Kroger.

Ken, the low serial number Cub Cadets are of interest to many of us on the forum. IH would typically start a new tractor with serial number 501. With the Cub Cadet, the first model did not have a model name so they have been referred to as the "Original". There was one experimental unit, (though there may have been three, or one plus two mock ups) that one is now known as number 411, it is accounted for. There were 10 prototype units numbered as 401 to 410. Of these only 409 is accounted for. Some of us on the forum were involved in the discovery, or uncovering of that unit. A man named Ken Majer, who's father Frank, was test engineer for IH and had #409. Ken posted on this forum many years back that he had an old Cub Cadet with the number 409. I worked with him to get his photos and documentation of it digitized and then worked with forum member Paul Bell to try to get it verified. It was then verified in person by Paul Bell who acquired it and refurbished it. Then there were 25 field test units which would have been numbered 501 through 525. Several of these are accounted for, 510, 515, 516, 518, 520 and 522. Former forum member and Cub Cadet collector and historian Jim Chabot owns or used to own 510, 518 and 522. Fun stuff!

Charlie, very cool! Thanks for the new photos and letting us know it's still around in Indiana. Though it's been know to be in Indiana for some time now, Hank Will's book has a photo of it and mentions it as being in Indiana. Supposedly owned by Herb Kroger.

Ken, the low serial number Cub Cadets are of interest to many of us on the forum. IH would typically start a new tractor with serial number 501. With the Cub Cadet, the first model did not have a model name so they have been referred to as the "Original". There was one experimental unit, (though there may have been three, or one plus two mock ups) that one is now known as number 411, it is accounted for. There were 10 prototype units numbered as 401 to 410. Of these only 409 is accounted for. Some of us on the forum were involved in the discovery, or uncovering of that unit. A man named Ken Majer, who's father Frank, was test engineer for IH and had #409. Ken posted on this forum many years back that he had an old Cub Cadet with the number 409. I worked with him to get his photos and documentation of it digitized and then worked with forum member Paul Bell to try to get it verified. It was then verified in person by Paul Bell who acquired it and refurbished it. Then there were 25 field test units which would have been numbered 501 through 525. Several of these are accounted for, 510, 515, 516, 518, 520 and 522. Former forum member and Cub Cadet collector and historian Jim Chabot owns or used to own 510, 518 and 522. Fun stuff!
Just trying to inform the new people that don't know where these end up along the way.

This particular one went to San Jose Country Club in Jacksonville Fla.

I'll crawl back under my rock now and move along elsewhere. Sorry to bother anyone!

Just trying to inform the new people that don't know where these end up along the way.

This particular one went to San Jose Country Club in Jacksonville Fla.

I'll crawl back under my rock now and move along elsewhere. Sorry to bother anyone!

Charlie, get back out from under that rock! I'm glad you posted about it!

I had no idea. I really appreciate the reply. I will have to look much more carefully at the SNs from now on. Great catch you made and thanks for doing your part to preserve a bit of history.

I had no idea. I really appreciate the reply. I will have to look much more carefully at the SNs from now on. Great catch you made and thanks for doing your part to preserve a bit of history.

Well, I didn't make the catch, I just assisted with some documentation. 😉

Charlie get out from under that rock! I dont want to speak for Ken but I can bet that he and I are super grateful for your knowledge. Kraig - don't feel like pregnant nun - you are just as valuable of an asset.

I am far from a collector (a bit of a hoarder) but I can tell you that collectors help the rest of us out with knowledge of history, workings of the equipment, and experience with the accessories. Kraig's library of information has helped me through several jams in the past.

Forums like this may be one of the best parts of the world wide web. when many of us were young we learned from our dads (and moms) brothers, uncles, grandfathers etc. On the farms finding ways to make things work until the parts arrived were often weekly occurrences. forums have allowed us to grow the mentors and teachers list exponentially!
I was once told being smart doesn't mean you know everything, it means you know where or who to find the solution to any problem.

I for one am checking every serial number I run across from now on.

Pardon a silly question here, but looking at that first picture the steering knuckle is on the RHS whereas on my few its always on the LHS, so either the design was revised..... or the picture has been flipped over.

either there is a design story here or there isn't..... any ideas?

Gordon, the Original is unique in the steering drag link is on the right side. With the next series and on through all the subsequent series the steering drag link is on the left. The steering column is also different.

Great, so that's one of the clues as to what an "O" is ...... and the professors are keeping the other secret signs of an "O" Top S....? What do I have to do to be let into the inner sanctum? Just asking..... dont think any O's made it across the pond to this side.....

My dad bought our CC 100 in 1965 and the delivery note is dated 12th August 1965 attached. Somewhere I do have the purchase receipt from 1965. Found implement pricelists but they are in a local language so unless you were of German/Flemish or Dutch background and could speak/read it would serve no good to attach.

Attachments

• CC100 delivery note 12thAug1965.PDF
    986.6 KB · Views: 356
Gordon, no secrets here, well there might be a few... I try to share as much as I can, and I believe others do to. The Original also had a belt drive to a driveshaft that ran to the rear reduction housing/transmission. The engine sat on top of an inverted "U" shaped frame. The rest of the Cub Cadets had a direct driveshaft with an engine that sets lower in an upright "U" shaped frame. Here's a few photos of my Original as I was refurbishing it where you can see a bit more of the frame detail.

K4K_01.jpg

K4K_02.jpg

K4K_03.jpg

Hello Kraig and other Yellow-n-White enthusiasts,
I admire the wealth of knowledge and freedom of sharing, hints and prods of advice. I hope you continue to share these pearls. A Picture speaks many a thousand words, these above are magnificent, showing the RHS steering knuckle clearly and speak to the first changes in NF Chassis design.... What a find!

So do lead us on a bit further:
The IH Farmall Cub tractor (some were the Red off-center crab) had, it would seem, a similar gearbox with included differential with possibly different side shafts, final reduction at wheel and brakes . This sort of emerged as I went down the rabbit hole of the rear PTO drive option discussion a few months back with again another very helpful and positive Forum member, Dennis Brooks, and I am still awaiting finding a donor Cub gearbox to scavenge a rear PTO. Now, if IH were using parts already well designed for another medium sized tractor on the smaller CC's that makes perfect logical sense and of course speaks to the success of the somewhat over-engineered-design as some have alluded, and is just the reason we love our Yellow and White bundles of joy and why they are so collectable and restorable. I wonder if the gear ratios are similar if this thread of thinking is accurate. ........"Yellow n White Fever"
Imagine the fun a few middle aged engineers would have had saying "what shall we use for

Again if someone knows for sure the inside engineering/design thinking it would be nice to build a picture.

1605952851933.png

Latest posts

Back