• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

48 inch deck on 2182 height adjustment

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chancey47

I searched through the various forums and did not find an answer to my problem. I recently bought a late 90's 2182 with a 48 inch (3 blade) deck installed. My problem is that the height adjustment lever is difficult to move and has no effect on the height of the deck. It has had this problem since I bought it. I took the deck off to lube and check bearings and put it back on. It looks like the lever should move the deck, but it does not. In order to raise the deck, I have to lift it by hand and put a chain, with hooks on both ends, over the floor pan to both sides of the deck. The lever only goes through 3-6 on the height scale and the disengage button on the lever is very difficult to push in and release from the indexer. My research did not show the 48 inch deck as an option on this mower. Could it be that it is just not made for this tractor? The adjuster mechanism looks like it should just raise and lower the deck, with the actual height of mowing set by wheel height. When trailering, it would be nice to just lift with the lever instead of fighting to get it chained up to clear the ramps. I would appreciate any ideas, thanks!

Are you saying when you pull or push on the hydraulic lever at the dash the deck doesn't raise up or down? If that's correct, see if your hydraulic cylinder under the tunnel cover moves in and out when you actuate the lever at the dash. If it does then you may have sheared roll pins in the rockshaft. If the cylinder doesn't move then you have a hydraulic problem.

agitch, thanks for the reply. This tractor is a 2182 and does not have hydraulics. The lift mechanism is mechanical. The control lever is to the left of the seat The deck has the "lift assist" tension bars and springs and (what appears to be) a lifting mechanism consisting of flat bar arms to the rear, and a "yoke" on the front of the deck where it engages the mule. As I stated in the original post, I have not been able to determine, for sure, that the 48 inch deck fits a 2182 tractor. In any case, moving the selector lever up and down does not affect the deck. If anybody has some photos or parts diagrams of the 48" deck attachment mechanism (both deck and tractor), maybe that would help. I can lift the deck up with manual force, one side at a time, and it appears to have about 3-4 inches of travel. It is just suspended loosely in the lift mechanism which allows this movement The flat bar lift arms are slotted to allow for up and down movement. The arms move in the slots when the lever is moved, without moving the deck. Amazingly, with sharp blades, it does a nice job of mowing. You just have to chain it or mow at the lowest height setting (with the deck wheels bearing on the terrain.) Thanks, again, for your help.

Are you sure that you have a 2182? It would have power steering and 2 brake pedals. I suspect it is a 2185.

Back