• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

46 GT deck to an older IH 782

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msmucker

displayname
marcus smucker
Hi, does anyone have any advice/ experience mounting a 46 GT deck (from an 1985 682) to an 1980 782?
The reason I am asking is that I had to take off the 44C deck on my 782 to do some refurbishing and 'borrowed' a 46GT deck from a dead 682 along with the mule drive. When I got it all together the deck sat very low, there is practically zero lift capability and initially the deck didn't sit very level. Does anyone know if there were any changes made to the 82 series frames after CCC took over production that might account for the out-of adjustment? I did move the anti scalping caster wheels and it leveled the deck out better, but I dint think that the deck was supposed to sit on them continuously. I recklessly believed that it would be a simple swap for the two tractors, but as usual I'm not that fortunate. It does cut nice though........
Thanks in advance for any advice.

No frame change, or nothing significant. Just mounting tabs and holes and stuff like that. These decks are tall and don't lift very high. The deck is supposed to ride on the wheels. I think all of the newer ones are that way. That deck isn't original for a 682, either...I don't think those came out until the late 80's.

I have one on my 782D and I like it too. It's nice to be able to bag, too.

Marcus, did the 682 have the same problem? I know when I did the initial setup for mine per the manual it had me screw in both of those lift links a bit to where there was about 5 to 6 threads showing through both the left and right ferrules. After I did that and the other procedures I had more lift but it still lowered enough to ride on the wheels at my desired cutting height. Matt's right these are tall decks but cut real nice.

Actually I never got to try it on the '85 model 682. I bought that tractor super cheap because it needed a motor (it came with that deck). Recently I bought a running IH 782 and the 44C deck on the tractor needed some TLC so I swapped it out for the 46GT deck till I get the 44C restored. This is first experience with these type of decks so I was not used to how they get set up and run.

Glad to know I wasn't too off in setting it up and that it is a well spoken-of deck.
-thanks

Back