• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

450 blower on 982 not lifting

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what is confusing me. If I use the lift straps in any other hole than bottom, it kicks the end where the lift rod attaches up too high and it won't lift because its almost over center. The hydraulics want to push it up, but the lift rod will almost bow outwards because of the almost flat angle its on. What is the overall length of your lift strap you are using? What is the pin to pin measurements? Yours looks right in my mind, mine doesn't. And you don't have issues with yours lifting? How high off the ground does it lift, 2 or 3 inches?

My "lift straps" as mounted using the center of bottom 3 holes to the top is 12" from center to center of the holes.
Lift rod is 34" center to center on the mounting holes.
Total lift off garage floor is 4"

My "lift straps" as mounted using the center of bottom 3 holes to the top is 12" from center to center of the holes.
Lift rod is 34" center to center on the mounting holes.
Total lift off garage floor is 4"
After re-reading your response Mike I noted you did not mention the "Piviot" straps. They are the upper horizontal straps that support the blower when lifting keeping it "level". On your unit they are angled downward to the lower holes on the blower fame housing, mine are located on the upper holes.

Well that might cause an issue! I don't have a picture of that part of my blower with me, I'll assume I have holes there to use! Will check that out. 👍 that sure as would be a nice easy fix if it was the cause!
Thank you for the measurements.
Where do you have your stop block set on the right side of frame next to your foot out of curiosity?

Well that might cause an issue! I don't have a picture of that part of my blower with me, I'll assume I have holes there to use! Will check that out. 👍 that sure as would be a nice easy fix if it was the cause!
Thank you for the measurements.
Where do you have your stop block set on the right side of frame next to your foot out of curiosity?
I have it fully open for full lift and lower travel.

Attachments

• IMG_0994.jpg
    IMG_0994.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 57
Nice cab by the way... miss my cab some days.
Thanks Mike, I have had this unit for over 20 plus years now. The cab came with the tractor along with a 50 inch deck and sweepster broom. I added power steering and front hydraulics. The cab is removed in about an hour during the Spring and re-installed late fall. I have it so it comes off in one piece and sets on a simple caster frame to be stored until needed. I personally refurbished the tractor 15 years ago including repower with 24 h.p. Briggs VAngaurd engine. It is my work horse and go to tractor. Enough, probably more than you wanted to know!
Mounted Snowblower.jpg

Back to your problem. I took some pictures I thought might help you do a comparison with the blower lifted and set down. I measured the lift rod movement, it moves just about 2" as as best I could measure if this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0997.jpg
    IMG_0997.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1002 (1).jpg
    IMG_1002 (1).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1005.jpg
    IMG_1005.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 67
Thanks Mike, I have had this unit for over 20 plus years now. The cab came with the tractor along with a 50 inch deck and sweepster broom. I added power steering and front hydraulics. The cab is removed in about an hour during the Spring and re-installed late fall. I have it so it comes off in one piece and sets on a simple caster frame to be stored until needed. I personally refurbished the tractor 15 years ago including repower with 24 h.p. Briggs VAngaurd engine. It is my work horse and go to tractor. Enough, probably more than you wanted to know!
View attachment 148146

Back to your problem. I took some pictures I thought might help you do a comparison with the blower lifted and set down. I measured the lift rod movement, it moves just about 2" as as best I could measure if this helps.
That is sweet, nice tractor. Used to have a hard shell cab like that but converted it to the 88 style cab of big IH tractors. I have a 3688. Sold it and the 1872 it was on when I needed money after being restructured out of 20 + year job. Hopefully someday have another one.
Thank you for the pictures. Yours look right, mine doesn't. This is in the up position after changes were made to upper straps and middle hole of lift straps. Straightened lift rod too and set to 34" like yours. Had to shove on connection of lift rod and blower because it was over centre. This is all I got out of it.
So either my tabs on rock shaft are on wrong angle OR the tab lift rod attaches to the blower is on wrong angle - or both!

Attachments

• 20220302_191712.jpg
    20220302_191712.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220302_191630.jpg
    20220302_191630.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220302_191656.jpg
    20220302_191656.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 61
That is sweet, nice tractor. Used to have a hard shell cab like that but converted it to the 88 style cab of big IH tractors. I have a 3688. Sold it and the 1872 it was on when I needed money after being restructured out of 20 + year job. Hopefully someday have another one.
Thank you for the pictures. Yours look right, mine doesn't. This is in the up position after changes were made to upper straps and middle hole of lift straps. Straightened lift rod too and set to 34" like yours. Had to shove on connection of lift rod and blower because it was over centre. This is all I got out of it.
So either my tabs on rock shaft are on wrong angle OR the tab lift rod attaches to the blower is on wrong angle - or both!
Mike, from the pictures I note your lift bracket attached to the lift rod under the right foot pad does not seem to be as far forward compared to mine. Since the lift only moves about 2" this would account for the difference in location at the other end since the your lift rod is also 34" long.

Looking carefully at the angles of the lift arm tabs on the pivot shaft where the lift arm attaches up front yours are different then the ones on my unit. This will affect where you need to have the lift brackets fasten.

Mike, from the pictures I note your lift bracket attached to the lift rod under the right foot pad does not seem to be as far forward compared to mine. Since the lift only moves about 2" this would account for the difference in location at the other end since the your lift rod is also 34" long.

Looking carefully at the angles of the lift arm tabs on the pivot shaft where the lift arm attaches up front yours are different then the ones on my unit. This will affect where you need to have the lift brackets fasten.

Agreed. I'm going to have to cut the welds on the tabs and adjust the angle of them - they are clearly wrong. There is no way the exact same tractor and blower set up can produce such a different outcome. So definitely mine needs to be changed. I'll have to re-weld them on in comparison to yours. I'm going to start with the tab that the lift arm attaches to. I think that is the problem - as of now. I'll have to turn the heat on in garage this weekend and see what I can accomplish. I more than likely will be back to bug you if that is okay Russ - may need more measurements or a picture - hope that's okay. Appreciate all the info/pictures you have given me so far.

Agreed. I'm going to have to cut the welds on the tabs and adjust the angle of them - they are clearly wrong. There is no way the exact same tractor and blower set up can produce such a different outcome. So definitely mine needs to be changed. I'll have to re-weld them on in comparison to yours. I'm going to start with the tab that the lift arm attaches to. I think that is the problem - as of now. I'll have to turn the heat on in garage this weekend and see what I can accomplish. I more than likely will be back to bug you if that is okay Russ - may need more measurements or a picture - hope that's okay. Appreciate all the info/pictures you have given me so far.
Just let me know what you may need Mike, glad to provide if it will help! This is what the Forum is all about.

You should reweld them using the holes that the original roll pins were installed in as his rock shaft is of the 2 piece design and may differ.
If you are capable of making a new rock shaft rod it may be easier to do. You can cut the old one out and use it as a template.

Finally took the time to work at correcting my issues with rock shaft on the 982. What PIA job, I couldn't imagine doing this on a narrow frame!

Attachments

• 20220815_163204.jpg
    20220815_163204.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220820_144942.jpg
    20220820_144942.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220821_135636.jpg
    20220821_135636.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220821_140632.jpg
    20220821_140632.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220821_144124.jpg
    20220821_144124.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220821_144318.jpg
    20220821_144318.jpg
There is a brace that goes between the hole in arm for the snowblower lift and the deck lift pin on the right side. If you don't have that, you will break the rockshaft again eventually with those heavy snow blowers.

There is a brace that goes between the hole in arm for the snowblower lift and the deck lift pin on the right side. If you don't have that, you will break the rockshaft again eventually with those heavy snow blowers.
Any chance you have a picture of it? I can't say I've ever seen a brace on these?

Any chance you have a picture of it? I can't say I've ever seen a brace on these?
Pictures may not be to helpful since it is difficult to really take a good picture just by removing the tunnel cover but hope it helps! Included are the parts listing and depending on your serial number it might not be the same as the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1240.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1241.jpg
    IMG_1241.jpg
  • IMG_1242.jpg
    IMG_1242.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Pictures may not be to helpful since it is difficult to really take a good picture just by removing the tunnel cover but hope it helps! Included are the parts listing and depending on your serial number it might not be the same as the pictures.
Sorry, I misunderstood regarding the comment about the "brace" between the two lift pins being need for lift support! Looking at the Owner's Manual for my 450 snowblower they have no mention of a "brace". They do, however, mention a "Lift handle Extension Bracket" to be used with "All Manual Lift Tractors". I have never seen any mention of a "brace for lift support". Does any one have more info on this "brace"?

Attachments

• IMG_1244.jpg
    IMG_1244.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1245.jpg
    IMG_1245.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
The info is in my picture and post above. It is a 1/4" x ~2" piece of steel with a couple bends in it. I can't remember if it came with the Haban snow blades or if it is something someone else came up with after the fact, but either way, without it, you will break rockshafts without having it.

Well that sucks... I did mine with a bit more space between the piece that attaches to the lift cylinder and the piece that gets the bolt put through it to delete the "float" option. :( Crap!

Back