• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

42 in deck

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I’m thinking Harry is onto something. That center sure looks like it is standing tall and proud to me. Robert, did you use the guage against the front face of the pulley, or down in the recessed shoulder of the pulley? My instruction page, and an online image look like it fits in the recess. Boy is this bringing back memories! Cloudy ones, but good ones.

Attachments

• F7A86151-A7E5-4BDA-A393-D50CE8B10723.png
    F7A86151-A7E5-4BDA-A393-D50CE8B10723.png
    309.7 KB · Views: 143
  • EC943E60-1AFC-461D-82C3-C2C7E2C9EC5B.jpeg
    EC943E60-1AFC-461D-82C3-C2C7E2C9EC5B.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 140
Jim - you know, you could be right. My old eyes are getting tired. I thought so at first, then changed my mind, and now I'm wondering again if the ears are standing to tall.

Looking at LP’s above pics, he has about 2 threads showing, while Robert’s screws are flush and recessed relative to the level of the nuts. Does anyone know if we can use that as a reference, or could it be related to the use of replacement screws?

Lew Palma WINS the award again!!!!!

Hey Kraig, Oh Great One Keeper of the Photos - couple things:
Can you provide a award to Lew? His pics are really the best, along with his explanation.
Also, any chance you could add some red arrows or circles to his pics so everyone can tell what he is referring to with his comments about where the gauge sits, and the threads showing on the nuts.

Jim - I originally didn't say anything about no threads showing because I thought Robert may have used some aftermarket nuts that were slightly thicker than original nuts. I seem to recall the Service Manual actually mentions when clutch is adjusted correctly there should be a few threads showing evenly on the back of each screw. (This is also why I was hoping Kraig could add some red circles and arrows to Lew's pics).

Robert - ok, sounds like you tightened the nuts until a couple threads show on each screw and the clutch is working. Couple questions now:
Did you get a new turnbuckle (or fix it) so you can adjust the fiber button?
Did all this resolve the clearance issue with your lever and the mule drive parts?

Ok Robert - so your PTO clutch is working fine and you no longer have a clearance issue between the rod on the lever assembly and the mule drive. Could you confirm the following for me:
1 - burning up your fiber button was likely due to the incorrect adjustment of the PTO clutch assembly.
2 - your PTO lever clearance issue was likely due to using an incorrect (to long) belt.
I believe if you confirm the above if will likely help all those members that have been following this, and help them when they have to rebuild their PTO clutch.

(And I'm still hoping Kraig can add his infamous red circles/arrows).

Yes...1 I did burn up that wear button due to incorrect pto clutch assembly and 2 I did have to long a belt,it was for a48in deck,and also the wrong pto engagement cross shaft,someone suggested it may have come from a wide frame.

Yes...1 I did burn up that wear button due to incorrect pto clutch assembly and 2 I did have to long a belt,it was for a48in deck,and also the wrong pto engagement cross shaft,someone suggested it may have come from a wide frame.

Thanks Robert for confirming my 2 questions, but you added something about the "PTO engagement cross shaft" (PTO lever shaft) that I believe is incorrect.
I know Lew Palma mentioned he thought the lever "could be" from a wide frame and cut to fit a your narrow frame - but I don't really see how that could be. Your lever shaft was basically made with an eccentric. I've never seen that before either. It would certainly take alot of work to take a wide frame shaft lever and re-make so it fits in a narrow frame AND so the lever fiber button aligns with the PTO clutch. I just don't see it.

Lew P - since I used your name do you want to comment on my thoughts? Do you happen to have a wide frame lever in your parts bin, and you can show us what it might take.

Harry,
I need no award as I have nothing better to do... as for the red arrows and such, here are the updated 8 x10 color glossy pictures with the circles and the arrows and a description of each of where they were taken.

I do have a wide frame lever, I can see how they made it that way as the P.O. knew what he was doing.

DSC03704.JPG

DSC03699.JPG

Hydro, I've been off line for a few days. Good to see that Lew added the red circles and arrows for you.

Lew, nice Arlo Guthrie "Alice's Restaurant" reference. :roflol:

Back