• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

42 in deck

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The manual doesn't really show much about it,but it doesn't show any pins either...so I may just weld the new one in. Or if I really wanted to get crazy I could thread the ends and put nuts and lockwashers on to hold it.

Does anyone know if that shaft that holds the tensioner pulleys is supposed to be welded in place,seems a lot easier to pin so you can take it out
Do you mean the pulleys that swivel on the mule drive? You can see them in the top pic on last page, If so, then yes that shaft was welded in from the factory. I've ground off the welds and remade the shaft on my 73, the brackets suspending those pulley had worn into the shaft, so I used some tube to sleeve through the brackets and mounted onto a new shaft, More area to spread the loading. I was going to drill and tap the shaft then bolt it in... but I simply rewelded it in.

Yep,that would be the shaft,I'm gonna weld the new one back in. That's a good idea with the bushings in the worn holes.
It was easy to do with a vertical mill, and I found the tube in the scrap bucket.. so what the heck. made a world of difference too. stopped the belt being tossed off every few hours.

Had to chuckle this morning when I got to work,there laying on top of the scrap barrel was this tubing drop. .750 of x .500 id, perfect for those pulley brackets!
0730210634_Film1.jpg

Well Robert - something just doesn't seem right to me with your whole process. To me, your lever should'a worked without having that interference. I looked back at your previous pics and I'm wondering about something:
Your PTO appears to be the early style that is suppose to have the triangle springs with the little 90degree bends on the ends. But, in the pics it looks like you used the newer style triangle springs that have flat ends.
If this is what you did (newer style springs on early style PTO) then it could be why you wore out your graphite button on one use, and why you really have to force your lever and the button hard against the PTO.
When the PTO is operating properly it really hardly requires very little pressure from the button (and why the button lasts a long time).
Can you post a couple more pics of the front of your PTO so we can see ends of the springs???
(Hopefully Kraig doesn't call me ole Eagle Eye for nothing).

Harry I did use the right spring with the90° bends and I never had to force that lever it worked nice and smooth. I think I smoked that button cause I didn't have the gap set right. I kept fooling with it cause it kept coming out of tolerance only to figure out my turn buckle was stripping out on one end.
0730211648_Film1.jpg
0730211647_Film1.jpg

Well, ok on the turnbuckle, but looking at your pic, it looks like one end of the triangle spring is on the outside of the cast PTO housing, and the metal center button is set with the 3 ears way up high. I'm thinking there is something wrong with the assembly of your PTO. Those 3 ears and the button just should not be up that high. I'm wondering if you used the right gauge to measure the settings? (There are 2 styles of gauges, 1 for early style and 1 for newer style).

The paint is chipped on the housing giving it the appearance that its on the outside in the pic,the ears are sitting in there the same as on my 127,I used the tool to set the spring. Really there's not much room in there for them to sit any other way that I can see.

Boy, sometimes pics really do have a confluence of shadows. That spring sure looks like it's on the outside.

Well Robert - any chance you want to pop your PTO off and take a pic of the backside so we can see the 3 double-nuts and how far the threads of the 3 screws are thru the nuts. That will tell me nearly for certain if the PTO is assembled and adjusted correctly.
(I noticed it appears you used 2 new screws and 1 old one).

Hmmmmmm

Here's my observations:
Looks like you used an aftermarket extra thick fiber disc. It should be an issue.
Normally, according to the install instructions, the threads of the 3 screws should be exposed about evenly. Since you used 1 older screw (and it appears to show less or no threads) it does raise a question to me. However, when I look at your new pic of the front the ears appear to be correct.
So, ole Eagle Eye seems to have failed (again). Your PTO is probably fine.

Robert - to late for me to edit my last post. I really should proof read them before I hit the button. It was supposed to say the thick fiber disk should "not" be a problem.
And as for my eyes - maybe you missed it. My post says "Ole Eagle Eye" (meaning one of them is better than the other :cool: )

Back