• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

24V Military Winch....any good?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwilke

displayname
Ryan D Wilke
Hey Guys,
My son brought over a 24-volt WARN winch and asked me if I could determine:

#1) Does it work?
#2) Can it be wired to 12V?
#3) Is it even worth messing with?

The data plate has a big red WARN at the top and below are:

M = MRV-C-3
N = 15617
V = 24
D = 164

And below the plate is stamped, "Made in Brazil"
The cable spool is about 7" wide and 8" in diameter.

It has what looks like four (4) solenoids wired together and covered in some sort of liquid plastic (presumably to keep the connections sealed from the elements) and all four mounted on a approx. 8"x6" board next to the motor while the whole thing is mounted on a piece of 10" iron channel.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks in Advance!
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

It'll run about 1/2 speed with less than 1/2 the torque. I can give ya the wiring diagram for hooking up the solenoids if they're not wired up.

I wouldn't throw it away if it's priced right
happy.gif

You can also get in touch with Warn and give them the spec numbers and get all the info from them. I had to once for a 24v 10k#

I used to have one on my M998 hummer in the gaurd. I never could manage to wreck it. We sure did manage to work it hard.
war.gif

Nope, I didn't lose interest, I've just been busy with other issues.... including helping my elderly folks with "Winter Preparations" for starters.....

KENtuckyKEN,
Yes, I'm interested in obtaining a wiring diagram from ya for hooking up the solenoids.
worthy.gif
If possible, please email the diagram to me.
It seems that there are wires that came off of the solenoids that went to a remote control device...???

On the winch motor, there are terminals that have stampings next to them as, F1, F2, A and another terminal underneath the unit that I don't see a stamping....
I was told to search across the web or to contact WARN for some possible assistance wtih a wiring diagram, but I haven't done that as of yet.

My thoughts at this point are that a remote control won't be necessary, rather a panel control would be a better deal; my son figures he'd like to mount the winch on the front (hitch end) of his mud bogger hauler/trailer to use in case his bogger truck breaks - he could then winch the broken truck onto the trailer; whereas now he must drive it on....

Does anyone know of some sort of converter box that could step up 12V to 24V to power the thing?

Thanks again for any & all assistance!
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Ryan, many trucks use 24 volts (at least to start). They have a 2nd battery. Even if you could find a step up converter, the amps that winch can draw would smoke it in seconds.

Ryan - I can't find my EFax password and it's in a fax from back in '99 that I can't open
bash.gif
BUT I just sent a request to Warn with the tag info in your first post... we'll see if they still have anything on it.

Anyway here's a diagram I drew up of how I wired a winch for a log loader I built for a guy several years ago ... just so I can post something !!

69834.gif

Allen - What you said ! My 9500# 12v will draw 415 amps on full load.

Back