• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

2185 PTO Not working

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrandolph

displayname
Jason Randolph
Hi all
I have a 2185 that the PTO stoped working

I have power to the red wire with key on down at the connection what should/does the blue wire do?

Thanks for your time

Jason

Jason - There's a good chance it's the ground. I don't have the schematic though.

Take a jumper and put it on the wire and make a fast swipe at a good ground with it and see if the PTO snaps. You'll have to have somebody sit on the seat so the safety switch is closed. That might be something to check too for good connection.

There are three different electrical schematics so you'll have to compare your S/N to get the correct one.

188847.jpg

188848.jpg

188849.jpg

Ken
I did the test with the ground and it snaps
So the ground is the problem
Is this just a PTO switch problem or could it also be that reverse switch

I am going out back to investigate more and will check back later with more updates

Thanks
Jason

According to the schematics the blue goes to the PTO switch then the seat safety switch then the key. So the problem would be 1 of the 2 switches, the seat or PTO. PTO switches are known for going bad so I'd say that's it.

With everything back to normal (no jumpers and seat switch working) take wire # 3 and #6 off the ignition switch and jump them together and see if it works with weight on the seat.

Looking again I see that the brake switch is in there too so to test it IF the last test didn't work ...

Jump wire #6 to #5 on the ignition switch.

I have narrowed it down to eigther the Relay that the Reverse switch wires go into or the PTO switch
Is there a way to check eigther of these with a meter ?

I will keep fiddling with it and check back

Update
I have power to the white wire going into the relay but it does not go any farther than that I would assume the relay should sent power through it via the brown wire ( pushing in the reverse switch shuts the power off)

Jason

Disreguard my previous post
I am going Nuts LOL

I have narrowed it down to eigther the Relay that the Reverse switch wires go into or the PTO switch
Is there a way to check eigther of these with a meter ?

I will keep fiddling with it and check back

Update
I have power to the white wire going into the relay but it does not go any farther than that
( pushing in the reverse switch shuts the power off)

After puting everthing back together
the blue wire at the clutch has power when key and switch are on even if the switch is off the blue is still energized. Also the reverse switch in or out the blue still has power.

I am still thinking its that relay

Jason

Man I hate tracing juicetricity hoses ! They have all those little wires inside stopping up the flow
whistling.gif

They are switching the NEG on the PTO strangely enough ... that means IF the RED hot one rubs and cuts the insulation then you'll blow a fuse or burn up the wiring !

The unlabeled relay above the reverse switch has me confused whether it's N.O. or N.C. as it could operate either way in the circuit (I think).

I went and looked at my 1882 PTO switch thinking I'd pull the wires and put the meter on it to see how it's switching, but when I reached in there to get the plug my thumb cramped and pulled down flat into the palm of my hand. That happens way to often ... so I closed the hood and hoped I never have to change mine.

White is hot brown is ground on unmarked relay.
If reverse switch is open then ground is broke on brown and pin 7

This is screwing with my nerves ...

You posted while I was staring at schematic and typing between stares ;)

Well it was the Relay
Took both the switch and the relay to the CC dealer and the nice guy there checked both peices and we found the relay to be bad.
Great customer service at my dealer

Thanks for your help and I look foward to talking to you again

Jason

Latest posts

Back