• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

2084: This is a bad starter, right?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taylor,first thing is batt. Put on a charger,if it reaches 13 volts it's likely good (not a guarantee).Use a meter to check batt while running at least half throttle ..meter across pos and neg..you should be getting plus 13 volts....if it only reads 12v the system isn't working....That's a Kohler so on the side of the plastic engine cover is a voltage regulator that is held in by screws..under one screw is a ground wire that probably runs to throttle linkage to ground reg.. If you don't know what it looks like google kohler reg. for a pic.Take that wire off and clean very well,including the screw head...put it back on and test again....If it now reads 13 you have solved the problem (this is a common issue)....If it still doesn't read 13 then likely your reg. is bad( check connections also)......If it reads 13 and your batt. doesn't hold a charge then it's time to replace batt.....Most elec. problems are corrosion in connections but not always so testing each component is how you prove the system..... The charging stator is under the flywheel and rarely go bad...
The only way to accurately test the condition or charge on a battery is with a battery hydrometer. That will show the charge condition of each cell. I've had batteries that show full charge after charging but one cell still showed fully discharged with the hydrometer. In those cases, the battery will not have enough power to crank.

Just went through that on a 1450.

The little tangs that hold the terminals in the housing were badly worn and not holding them in place on the rectifier.
The terminals need to be in good shape to make good connection when the housing is slid onto the rectifier and not just push out the other side, not making connection.
Installed a new housing after making sure the little tit on each terminal was pulled away a bit so it would catch the inside of the housing when pushed into it.
Fired up the Cub and all is well now.

BTW, make sure the rectifier is installed onto the fan shroud the correct way. I believe the fins should be on the inside to affect the cooling when in operation.
Maybe Charlie has these?? I had included a few on one of my CCC orders in the past. Part # KH-25-155-41s

Last edited:
Did a bunch of work over the weekend with my 2084. At the very end of the day I went to put it in the shed (it had been sitting off for 30 minutes) and heard what sounded like a small electrical short under the hood. All that would happen after that was the starter solenoid would click rapid-fire. :bash:

Assembly looks original to me.
View attachment 145061
I tested the voltage off the battery and also at the signal and and the wires are all good. So I jumped the posts.
View attachment 145062
Starter needs replacing, right?! OEM replacement from CC Specialties is $215. Is OEM the wise option here or would I be fine with a cheaper one?
I just purchased a used Cub Cadet 2000 Series 2155. At first, I was having starter issues. Solenoid Clicking. It was a hit & mess. Sometimes it would start, sometimes it would just click. I replaced the battery. Didn't make a difference. Starter & solenoid looks brand new. I was puzzled. It doesn't make things any easier on finding the solution with all the safety switches on these Mowers. There's safety switches for the Deck, Foreword, Reverse and the seat. So, I started with the basics. GROUNDs/NEGITIVEs. I located, disconnected all grounds/negatives that I could find. Cleaned all negative/ground connections. I also, added a extra Ground/Negative wire from the body to the engine. After I did all of that. Engine now fires-up every-time with no issues. So, before thinking about buying a new starter or solenoid. Inspect all the Grounds/Negatives for connections.

I mean, I read 12.56V directly off the battery terminals…
In my opinion, your issue just maybe a bad ground. My 2155 Battery light kept blinking, going off and on out of random. I replaced the battery, still did the same thing. Sometimes, the starter would just click, wouldn't start. Disconnecting, cleaning all ground connections solved my issues. Also, a bad or dirty safety switch would cause these issues. Always start with the basics.

Back