• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

2084 Super Garden Tractor won't stay running/gas vanished!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would rotate the small red wire clockwise. It appears it is touching the terminal the blue wire is connected to.

Taylor, that is not ignition coil.That is starter and solenoid...The red connector is where I said you have to jump a positive to make starter engage.The larger red cable is the post you jump from battery with pos. because you will have switch unhooked.....
Or just jump 12v directly to where the blue wire is with a small gauge wire to crank the engine. Another wire from 12v to + side of coil. Shouldn't that bypass everything?

I'm a bit concerned...If you don't know the difference between coil and starter,you're going to need help or study a breakdown of engine parts
Haha, touché! Electrical is not my forte, but I gotta learn it! I knew what the starter looked like but was confused by the solenoid which looks the same shape as the ignition coil based on the drawing (and location) in the service manual. I'll find the coil and post a picture.

Is the "kill switch" synonymous with the "afterfire solenoid"?

If it wasn't obvious ... I really appreciate the help from you seasoned pros. Really do.

Taylor, the "kill" wire is attached to coil and goes to ignition switch.When you turn ign. switch off it routes coil generated elec. to ground there by "killing" spark....I f you unplug harness it goes nowhere to ground unless there is a short.... Starter solenoid and coil look nothing alike . If you go to pics previous (b&w) the dia. shows flywhel etc and no. 3 points to plug wire .the coil is square shape to the right ..It does not show kill wire connection..

If I'm understanding correctly, it fires and starts when in the start position but when you release the key switch from the start position and it goes to the run position, that's when it starts to die on you? Does it act like it has just been shut off or does it act like it's starving for fuel and then dies. I'm thinking when you release the switch to the run position, it is grounding the kill wire. I was thinking it could also be losing power to the fuel solenoid on the carb but if that's the case then your new fuel pump would lose power too since it's tied into the same wire.

If I'm understanding correctly, it fires and starts when in the start position but when you release the key switch from the start position and it goes to the run position, that's when it starts to die on you? Does it act like it has just been shut off or does it act like it's starving for fuel and then dies. I'm thinking when you release the switch to the run position, it is grounding the kill wire. I was thinking it could also be losing power to the fuel solenoid on the carb but if that's the case then your new fuel pump would lose power too since it's tied into the same wire.
Great question. It definitely sounds like it has been shut off, as opposed to being starved for fuel. I have verified the pump is working awesome—plenty of fuel getting to the carb.

Taylor post a pic of rear of engine,shroud.
So ... after watching some YouTube videos, it seems like the ignition coil is behind (underneath?) this shroud?
IMG_2718.JPG

Here's the schematic from the manual that was confusing me regarding the location/shape of the ignition coil (#10).
2084-service-manual-113.jpg

That would be a battery ignition coil. Not sure why it would show up in that diagram, I don't think any of the Kohler Command engines use battery ignition.

Your engine has the coils under the fan shroud next to the flywheel, and they generate spark because of a magnet embedded in the side of the flywheel. So yes, they are indeed underneath that shroud. Unfortunately, to get to them, you most likely have to completely remove the engine from the tractor!

If the gas all disappeared from the tank? You might want to check the oil and make sure it didn’t pump it into the engine
Already checked the oil, no gas present. Later determined that gas was seeping out from under the rubber seal of the low tank level sensor on top of the gas tank. Already fixed, replaced, cleaned. Also oil change.

Well Taylor,JP is right ..IF you have to change coil that's where it is...BUT you said it ran so coil was working then.....Back up and read how to unhook harness,use jumper wires to prove if it's your ign. switch OR grounded/shorted kill wire..I explained all that in detail...I still think your shorted battery is the basis of your problem but you have to prove one element at a time....

Well Taylor,JP is right ..IF you have to change coil that's where it is...BUT you said it ran so coil was working then.....Back up and read how to unhook harness,use jumper wires to prove if it's your ign. switch OR grounded/shorted kill wire..I explained all that in detail...I still think your shorted battery is the basis of your problem but you have to prove one element at a time....
Thanks Gary. I'll leave the kill wire be for the time being and work on testing the ignition switch first (by jumping the starter).
the schematic you sent says 2182 on the bottom not 2185
That's right. I guess even though I'm looking at a service manual for the 2084, some of these schematics are from other models.

Also, I have a call in to local Cub Cadet service (in this case, Blain's Farm & Fleet) to pick up the tractor next week if I can't get it running by then.

.I still think your shorted battery is the basis of your problem but you have to prove one element at a time....
Gary any reason I couldn't just take the ignition switch out and test the prongs with a multimeter? Would that be as effective a test as trying the disconnect and jump off the battery method?

Gary any reason I couldn't just take the ignition switch out and test the prongs with a multimeter? Would that be as effective a test as trying the disconnect and jump off the battery method?
Taylor, originally you didn't bother to mention melted terminals so I thought it was grounded wire, broken wire ,something quite easy to prove. I'm only writing based on experience that you don't have for all I know you could have several burned wires...You said you were NOT good at electrical.Do you know how to test all connectors of a switch.? You also said you made an app't to have your cub at a repair shop.Instead of asking the test switch question you could have found the answer on your computer and followed up.Nothing personal but I think you need to take it somewhere that knows how to test wiring... good luck....I really mean that and hope it's not major...

Back