• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1982 1282 journey

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bar type tires do less damage than the turf tires, especially when I use my 1050 with the 3 speed manual transaxle. That 10hp has enough power to consistently spin the turf tires when backing up while mowing. The bars do not spin, they grip.

I used to mow with everything having OEM Good Year turf tires. Now everything I own has 23 degree Firestone lugged tires except my zero turn, and I've found lugged tires for it, just haven't ordered them yet.
Was about 1963 that Dad let me mow the barnyard with our CC Original. I broke the clogged timing belt on the deck for the 2nd time and Dad traded it for a new #70 and 3-blade 38" deck but still on Good Year 6-12 turf tires. In fact, today, 2023 it still has one of those factory original turf tires on it, the other matching tire came off my #72 from when I put 23-8.50x12 23 degree Firestones on it just before Plow Day #1. About a year later I put 26-12.00x12 Firestones on my 982, and last summer I ordered two 6-12 Firestone 23 degree lug tires from Miller Tire, they had 5, now 3, and probably won't re-order anymore.
I've mowed with lugged tires probably 100 times, maybe more, and have done very Very little damage to my yard, I can see the "V" shaped lug depressions in the grass for about a day after mowing, then they disappear. I have a ditch along the road in front that my turf tires on whatever I mow with, zero turn, 70,72,982, slip & spin and tear up the grass. The Firestone lugged tires do not slip, EVER, so no damage to the grass. And that's over about 7-8 years of mowing with lugged tires. My 982 had a Carlisle more like 45 degree lugged tire when I got it that I didn't care for, but the Firestones are great. My zero turn with 24-12.00x12 Carlisle turf tires tears my yard up worse in one mowing from slippage that both sets of the Firestone's I have mounted have combined over all the years I've mowed with them.
The 23-10.50x12 23 degree lugged Firestone tires Miller sells would be a great tire for a higher horsepower Cub Cadet with 23-10.50x12 turf tires that are tearing up your yard. That is a size of 23 degree tire Firestone never made, but it's a really popular tire on newer larger HP tractors.

I have located 7 steering wheel center caps on Ebay. Two were NOS in the box, and the other 5 were used.

They pop up occasionally. They are getting harder to find.

I cleaned the new replacement dipstick and painted the visible end Cub Cadet yellow. The end of the original dipstick broke off presumably years ago.
1282dipstick.jpg

Wheels look good.

Looks like a guage wheel may be next on the list, or at least before Spring.

I used to mow with everything having OEM Good Year turf tires. Now everything I own has 23 degree Firestone lugged tires except my zero turn, and I've found lugged tires for it, just haven't ordered them yet.
Was about 1963 that Dad let me mow the barnyard with our CC Original. I broke the clogged timing belt on the deck for the 2nd time and Dad traded it for a new #70 and 3-blade 38" deck but still on Good Year 6-12 turf tires. In fact, today, 2023 it still has one of those factory original turf tires on it, the other matching tire came off my #72 from when I put 23-8.50x12 23 degree Firestones on it just before Plow Day #1. About a year later I put 26-12.00x12 Firestones on my 982, and last summer I ordered two 6-12 Firestone 23 degree lug tires from Miller Tire, they had 5, now 3, and probably won't re-order anymore.
I've mowed with lugged tires probably 100 times, maybe more, and have done very Very little damage to my yard, I can see the "V" shaped lug depressions in the grass for about a day after mowing, then they disappear. I have a ditch along the road in front that my turf tires on whatever I mow with, zero turn, 70,72,982, slip & spin and tear up the grass. The Firestone lugged tires do not slip, EVER, so no damage to the grass. And that's over about 7-8 years of mowing with lugged tires. My 982 had a Carlisle more like 45 degree lugged tire when I got it that I didn't care for, but the Firestones are great. My zero turn with 24-12.00x12 Carlisle turf tires tears my yard up worse in one mowing from slippage that both sets of the Firestone's I have mounted have combined over all the years I've mowed with them.
The 23-10.50x12 23 degree lugged Firestone tires Miller sells would be a great tire for a higher horsepower Cub Cadet with 23-10.50x12 turf tires that are tearing up your yard. That is a size of 23 degree tire Firestone never made, but it's a really popular tire on newer larger HP tractors.
My two cents on tires. Carlisle Tru Power 23x8.50X12 tires are now on my CC102, moved from an ElecTrak which I sold. The ET was used for plowing 220ft of driveway (mine and neighbor). Why not 10.50 tires? With back-porch weight , me, a 70lb axle and 240lbs of batteries the ET had 660 lbs on the rear wheels. Thought the 10.50's might spread the weight out and make for skids whereas the 8.50's might better dig-in to snow, not to mention mud. I was sold by IH Farmalls, never saw one without 8.50's. Must've come from the factory that way.

This machine had the shakes, and here's why:

1282isomounts.jpg

I replaced all 8 of them and it is far smoother now. Still has a very limited amount of vibration, but this is the nature of the beast.

The joints on the drag link were totally wasted. New ones fixed the slop.

1282jointbad.jpg

1282draglink.jpg

1282draglink2.jpg

Back