• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1973 128 deck belt question?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchel daniel

thanks to what was shared here i ordered a pto belt for installing my mower deck but after reading through the FAQ section stuff i am now questioning a few things and would like yalls opinion.
1- i ordered a belt for a 48" deck because when i measured my deck it measured all the way upside down from edge to chute outlet at 48"?
did i measure correct?
or do i have a 42" deck?
i ordered the 3/8" by 75-1/2" belt but am seeing now a 77 and 79" belt?
have never had the deck under this mower and the previous owner didnt know which belt because he used for a plow and didnt use the mower but had it.
i need it for the mower right now not the plow but in garden season the plow will help in my small garden.
is there a correct way to measure a deck?
i have no problems with looking at pulley alignment and belt runs to see if they are close or good or not.
just right belt length without something to compare it to?
i know the rope trick but was trying to be lazy while i rebuilt the deck before i put it down under?
any opinion is appreciated.
i have the serial number on another phone i can get if needed.

The width is the cutting with. Line up all the blades and measure from outer tip to outer tip. You likely have a 42" deck if the overall width was 48".

A picture of what you have would help us ID it as well.

i tried posting newer pics but i cant them to load.
this is from the sales posting.
the wheel brackets are homemade or certainly dont look like factory welds.
i think i ordered the wrong belt?
i ordered for a 48" deck which is 3/8" x 75-1/2"
and now i think i need the 80" long one.
of course i have been cleaning and painting the deck so have not put it under yet so i cant measure it yet but i will this afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_4090.MOV
    3.2 MB
Mitchel,
With you being in Swansboro, I would think you would need a boat instead of a mower!
Have you checked out the manual section yet? There should be a tag on your deck giving you the model and size of it.

Also while you have the deck off,give the spindles a check for tightness or loose.Check the idler and the pulleys on the front carriage,a little lube on the belt adjustment .Might of well correct all the issues.Charlie has the parts,one of the sponsors at the top of the page.Let us know as you progress

$1050 for a deck???!!!!
i tried posting newer pics but i cant them to load.
this is from the sales posting.
the wheel brackets are homemade or certainly dont look like factory welds.
i think i ordered the wrong belt?
i ordered for a 48" deck which is 3/8" x 75-1/2"
and now i think i need the 80" long one.
of course i have been cleaning and painting the deck so have not put it under yet so i cant measure it yet but i will this afternoon.
Looks just like the 42" on my 125

Attachments

• DSCN9749.JPG
    DSCN9749.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN9750.JPG
    DSCN9750.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
ok tried an 80" belt and with the mule drive spring disconnected and the slack adjuster completely backed of.
the mule drive pulleys against the frame rail it was at least an inch short.
then of course work showed up again.
will try the rope measurement next.
with a tape measure it came out like 84?
have not checked the size of my pulleys.

I use a 1973 model 128 to mow about 3 acre yard. It has the 42" deck.
These are the belts I use

MOWER MULE DRIVE BELT - OEM number 490489-R2 (3/8 X 80") Gates number - 3V800 NAPA number - NBH 3V800

Mine had a 1/2" drive belt when I got it and I used it a long time, bought several replacements, but they do not ride deep enough in the pulleys and are prone to jumping off. I find the factory recommended 3/8 works much better. I think the 1/2" belt was 81 1/2" long if you are interested. Most users say the genuine IH belts are better and I have always thought so too. Last one I had was not so good, and for what it's worth, the Gates one on now has made two mowing seasons so far. Best of luck, Sir.

Back