• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1964 IH cub cadet 100 family restore and story

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsampson

displayname
Joshua Sampson
Hi all. JSampson here new to the forum, not to the CC. my Father bought a Cub cadet 100 in the 81. I believe he said he gave $25 dollars for it. His father in law worked for shelter insurance as a claims adjuster. While there he discovered a CC100 that had been in a fire and was going to claims auction. knowing that my dad wanted a garden tractor called him up and dad bought the 100. I of course grew up with the thing around and either running or being worked on. Dad having a BS in aviation science and working on planes helped. Then in the mid 90's sometime it puttered out and he had it rebuilt for $700 (I was about 13is or so at the time). After that it ran great, and looked great, for a few more years but then the throwout bearing began to fail and while sibling was driving it she shifted the gearbox out of the brackets and it got stuck in 3rd, unable to shift back into neutral (pics later, and we didnt know what was wrong at the time other than it was locked in gear). So it sat and got dragged out into the field where it sat for thirteen years. I went to college and finished, started a family of my own and settled down. Always wanted to pull it out of the feild and start a rebuild. Then my mother got the cub cadet bug and bought a 124 she found on craigslist. Then I caught the bug as did my dad and last week we finally drug it out of the feild (complete with marks where the horses chewed on the hood, steering wheel and wires) but amazingly not in terrible shape. (A testament to the rugged overbuilding of the 50's and 60's.) Amazingly the tires aired right up with no leaks whatsoever! here are some pics!

225432.jpg
just removed the transmission

225434.jpg
mower deck tension pulley had a stuck bolt. I introduced it to my dremel and the bolt lost

225455.jpg
re-installing that pesky driveshaft. this was easier than laying down, and we were tired already.

That's all we got for now, I'll add some details later and new pics as I get her repainted a little at a time, if it ever stops raining i'm gonna take her to the car wash fer a bath (pressure washer) gotta get the clutch cover back on and start stripping and painting. right now i'm going to the cub cadet shop fer a press in grease zerk. comments are welcome.

Nice save Joshua, I wish I could save them all. Send pictures when you get it painted.

Josh S. (I feel like I'm posting to myself
1a_scratchhead.gif
),
Great job on saving another one of these awesome little machines from the scrap pile. They are so well built that it is indeed worth our time and effort to keep them running. Compared to much of what is available today, these are ten times the machines! I think it is even more important when there is nostalgia or a family link as in your case. I grew up cutting lawn on a 1965 875 Wheel Horse. Dad still has that tractor although it has been out of service for about a decade. Since I have become a member of the forum, I have been bugging him to restore it. I think that it would be a fun father/son project. Plus it would keep a solid little tractor going for many more years.

You have already done a great job of posting pics in this thread. As you continue to work on it, keep the camera handy and keep us updated. I am planning to restore my 682 that I just purchased and will start a thread for it too. I, for one, will keep a close eye on this thread and your progress with the ol' 100! Good job
greenthumb.gif

Back