• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to IH Cub Cadet Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1962 horse

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really believe the would be seller would be better off just doing their research on values for their area. That would be just as accurate or more so, than asking opinions of people that can't really tell the condition of a tractor from a picture or a description. A predicted price range isn't a lot of help, since a price range can very by hundreds or even thousands of dollars. There are a lot of free for sale sites on the internet, look there, base your price on the high side of that, if it's too high you will get no responses, pretty easy to figure that one out. I feel that people who ask on a forum, just don't want to do the research, and are looking for a short cut. I've found out the hard way that one persons description of great, good or poor condition is more or less just an opinion.

Well, I'll throw my experience into this. It really shows how prices on Cubs vary across the country. Around here in WNY, Cubs are pretty affordable for the most part, except Originals, which apparently people think are gold plated. Not super outrageous, but more than most would be willing to pay.

I'm kinda neutral in the whole "rule change" concept, because on one side, I agree that if we allowed "what is it worth" posts, we would probably be able to help more people out, and make the forum a better place for everyone. It would be nice to help educate sellers on what they own, so that we see less sellers who are clueless about their machine. But at the same time, I also agree with Jdrong, and how people who join a forum asking what something is worth might just be looking for an easy/lazy route. They don't want to do the research themselves, because they just don't care, so they'll let people who do care about these machines do it for them.

But, I will say, for anyone who asks posts like this, pictures of the machine go a really long way towards helping decide on a general price range!

Wow, this has turned into an interesting thread.
I vote on changing the rule. I think it would benifit all of us in the long run. :drool2:

If you want a price range for a Cub Cadet, just look at the for sale adds on this forum. If you want a price range for a Wheel horse, find a Wheel Horse forum and, search the for sale ads there. That's just one starting point for a price range. There is no accurate answer to "what is my item worth". As for changing the rule I'm neutral, there is no way to predict how that will go but, stick to Cub Cadet questions and, answers.

Harry,let's keep this discussion going,other members too.Let's consider my 122 ,it's 55 yrs old does that make an antique tractor? Now are we talking antique value or a working tractor or both? Seems most guys on this forum use their machines and that's not how most people treat antiques.How many do you know that drive their 60's auto everyday? I have a friend who restores IH tractors and they are like new,no field work anymore,parades only.He couldn't recover costs if he sold them...I know of a 128 &127 the guy thinks they are worth at least $600 each.They haven't moved in 10 yrs(or more).All the tires are rotted,one blown engine,the other missing the pto clutch.When I mentioned $150 for tires just to make it a roller he was uncaring....How could I possibly give anyone a value on either??.....So Harry, I appoint you to track sales and auctions for 6 mos and come back with estimated value range we can all vote on and send you a certificate of appreciation for your effort....caveat emptor works both ways :)

you know what iam seein from this...

a ... IH CC Blue Book..... on cubs....
only ? then is....
OLD cubs only in the book
or
ALL cubs even them cough MTDs ... sorry that is a sore spot not so much the fact who there made by and how cheap they are made..
but the fact that people who own them feel there plated in gold also.. seen a 16 year old cub with bagger posted for 700 bucks.. clutch plates no longer avabl.. to me 300 maybe 400 at most .. but thats with out seein it ..
in a city about 30 mins from me.. theres a 126 with 42 inch deck i think for 800 nothing else with it.
to me its a lil on the high side again 4 to 500 to me at least..

but a bluebook i think would help..
good convo for sure tho... thank you to the admins for lettin this one grow a bit and who knows what will come of it .. but i hope its all good ..

And as you can now all see.. prices are all over the place. So I think my standard reply to an inquiry would be like... 1 thousand dollars or best offer...
then when the poster wanted to "argue/discuss" my reply.. We'll just end up right where we are. Saying it's whatever the market will bear. Do your own local research. I think the Reverend either had the experience or the foresight to stop the situation in it's tracks from day one.

I do not think he is selling a Wheel Horse tractor, but a Troy-bilt Pony tiller, built in Troy NY
wasnt selling it. its a 1962 horse .... just was wondering is all. i thought it might be something. but turns out to be normal old tiller

Last edited:
So, it's not a Wheel Horse and it's not even a tractor. Maybe this is why "What is it worth" questions are not allowed. Try Google with the description given. Then we will all know why that type of question is not allowed.

Last edited:
So, it's not a Wheel Horse and it's not even a tractor. Maybe this is why "What is it worth" questions are not allowed. Try Google with the description given. Then we will all know why that type of question is not allowed.
no its a troy bilt tiller 1962 horse. i probley should have said that it was a tiller.. i thought i did lol ..
but its mute . i broke a rule. i paid for it. bought the admin dinner and a kiss hahhahahha

Harry,let's keep this discussion going,other members too.Let's consider my 122 ,it's 55 yrs old does that make an antique tractor? Now are we talking antique value or a working tractor or both? Seems most guys on this forum use their machines and that's not how most people treat antiques.How many do you know that drive their 60's auto everyday? I have a friend who restores IH tractors and they are like new,no field work anymore,parades only.He couldn't recover costs if he sold them...I know of a 128 &127 the guy thinks they are worth at least $600 each.They haven't moved in 10 yrs(or more).All the tires are rotted,one blown engine,the other missing the pto clutch.When I mentioned $150 for tires just to make it a roller he was uncaring....How could I possibly give anyone a value on either??.....So Harry, I appoint you to track sales and auctions for 6 mos and come back with estimated value range we can all vote on and send you a certificate of appreciation for your effort....caveat emptor works both ways :)

Gary - no thanks on the appointment. Have you ever really tried to figure out what someone actually paid for something? I happen to think most tractor transactions are "cash on the barrel head" (no checks), and never really get any official recording. On the other hand, eBay and even Facebook (according to my son) are good sources to determine values for options and parts. There are just so many factors involved it's hard to really say what something may be worth, but I still would like to see the rule changed so there could be discussions.

this is on a site. was 800 in 4 days droped to 650. ill wait for the 400 mark.. does it make it worth 600 or 800 or even the 400 .. who knows.. i guess it goes back to what one will pay for "x".... no its not mine.. i can show site in a privite message to a admin to prove if needed.

185020514_3880817558662603_512148262137306971_n.jpg

I guess with the vague description given, I completely misunderstood what the actual item in question was. Maybe, instead of not allowing "what is it worth" we should all make the effort with using oem terms. I wrongly assumed that a "horse" was a localized slang for Wheel Horse. I've never heard of a Troy Built, Horse tiller.

I have two Troy-Bilt Horse tillers - one from 1973 with a 6 horsepower Tecumseh engine and the other from the mid-1980s with an 8 horsepower Briggs engine. They were the largest Troy-Bilt tillers in the lineup. I actually bought the 1973 direct from the factory in Troy, NY and it was delivered by Shay Trucking in Dansville, NY. Great tillers.

I guess with the vague description given, I completely misunderstood what the actual item in question was. Maybe, instead of not allowing "what is it worth" we should all make the effort with using oem terms. I wrongly assumed that a "horse" was a localized slang for Wheel Horse. I've never heard of a Troy Built, Horse tiller.
horse is the biggest tiller they make and been making for over 70 years.
in a way your right. i forget tractor forums they see horse and think of wheel horse.. but no its a troy bilt horse tiller..
also remember what they say about assume .... hahhahahah

I have two Troy-Bilt Horse tillers - one from 1973 with a 6 horsepower Tecumseh engine and the other from the mid-1980s with an 8 horsepower Briggs engine. They were the largest Troy-Bilt tillers in the lineup. I actually bought the 1973 direct from the factory in Troy, NY and it was delivered by Shay Trucking in Dansville, NY. Great tillers.
my buddys dad probley touched your tillers. he worked there at Garden Way in the 70s in troy ny. is where i born and grew up. now he has pasted so i can say this hahhaha... he would bring parts home each day or other day so on . build brand new horses and then off them hahhaha..... reminds me of johnny cashs song .. one piece at a time lol ....
he put one of the 8 horse motors on a minibike frame with the lever throttle omg it was crazy for 8 year olds to ride hhahhahaha.. what a blast ...
the funny part. m buddy is in flordia welding on battle ships and iam the one working on the tillers lol

does the 80s tille rhave the PTO ? .. there was gensets , chiper , spliter. few other things for it. tho ive not seen any on the web ..

Last edited:
My 77 Horse has a 7 hp Kohler. The PTO started October 1983. My 86 Horse has a 6 hp electric start Tecumseh with a PTO and a chipper. The Tecumseh is pretty shot and will probably get a Preditor engine on it.

Back