• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1962 Cub... a work in progress.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

IHCC Supporter
I bought this some time ago to be a general purpose mule around the property but when I bought a '46 Willys, the Cub fell to neglect.
IMG_2694.jpg

Now, the Willys is about to go and I want the Cub back in tow duty as well as mowing.

So, step 1. I'm tearing through the fuel system. Tank is good but the sediment bowl and carb are in desperate need of sealing up.

I found what looks to be a decent re-build kit from *The Carb Doctor*. Any thoughts on that or preferences elsewhere?

As to the sediment bowl, I see lots of new bowls but would rather re-seal the existing one... Again, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Todd.

Charlie (the guy who owns this site) has everything you need at reasonable prices.. I rebuilt the carb and fuel bowl on my 102 over the summer and it runs like new now and no leaks...

Charlie (the guy who owns this site) has everything you need at reasonable prices.. I rebuilt the carb and fuel bowl on my 102 over the summer and it runs like new now and no leaks...
Thank you for that. Do I PM him or is there a place somewhere here to buy the items?

Todd.

Charlie no longer owns the IH Cub Cadet Forum but he does still own CC Specialties, note the colored boxes at the top of the page. He sells all sorts of parts for keeping our Cub Cadets running.

Todd, If you tap on the site navigation bar you will get a drop down .. go to fuel and tuneup.. then scroll down to Kohler carb rebuild kit K91-K301 that should be your 7hp original kit.. Also there are are parts there to rebuild your fuel bowl as well...

After a bit of a delay to source and mount tires on my horrendous rims.... It's back in a relatively permanent state of not-tilt.

IMG_2712.jpg

In the course of looking about the internets, I found a stupendously inexpensive knock-off Carter carb to get me around dealing with that rattly nature of the original. I'll likely spend some time next summer restoring the original carb. You know... just because.
IMG_2713.jpg

Sadly, one of my tin-mounts - on either side of the head - was all hogged-out and useless so I figured that I would take the head off, true up the hole and rethread. It'll likely come as no surprise to many that no matter how gingerly I finessed the bolt on the other side... it of course broke.

Then, in drilling it out I of course snapped a drill.

Now I'm figuring ta hell with it and get a replacement with good threads. One of my cooling fins is long-ago-broke so that tips to a different head too.

I'll certainly hang onto this one and keep it with the carb for a slow-summer project. I'm guessing one of the 7hp heads on eBay unless any here have a different suggestion.

I kind of like that one that is blasted and comes with bolts and a gasket. It's a bit steep but seems worth it to me.

IMG_2706.jpg

Todd.

Last edited:
I looked at the CC site for a rubber for my sediment bowl but didn't see one there.

As with most everything, I'd like to keep this bowl too. Replacements are easy enough but usually aren't as cute as the original.

Fortunately, I see that CC does have a replacement fuel shut-off.
IMG_2714.jpg

If you like a blasted look head, I had a local Harley custom shop glass bead blast one for me. It turned out great, and stayed looking nice as long as I kept the tractor. The guys at the Harley shop appreciated the old iron , too. Even the guy with the three foot long flaming red ponytail. It only cost a few bucks 15 years ago. I have no idea what it would cost these days.

Thanks for the tip J.

I fortunately have a couple of friends with cabinets and really only commented upon the head for sale as being blasted, the photos are less likely to hide any imperfections.

Todd.

Got her up and running today.

It's loaded in the trailer to take back down to the horse-property.

In loading it, I got the sense that it was quite hot as I was unable to re-install the tin held in place by the two bolts in the head. Once I get another head that'll be a non-issue.

Strange that it'd seem so hot for so little running on such a relatively cool day here in Phoenix.

IMG_2753.jpeg

Check the engine tin for mouse nests, or blockage.
You know - that's a good point but I'm not too concerned about mice as the strength of our feral cat hunters... are known by the gloss of their hides (Kipling, more or less).

I did however, spend a good hour or so contending with wasps once I got back to resurrecting this rascal.

I'll have to get under all the tin for a deeper wasp-nest search.

Thanks for the nudge!

Todd.

Todd, a few months ago I worked a 128 that was packed with mouse fluff so hard around the flywheel it wouldn't turn over easily. Had to remove all shrouds and what a pile it was... Cats don't get 'em all.

True enough, Gary.

The killer-cats are not perfect but we do have one strange, mixed-blessing here in that we do not suffer mice and their attendant, diminutive dimension issues.

What doesn't go down to cats here, goes down to Roof-rats and the odd snake. We simply don't have mice. And while roof-rats start out mouse-sized - they VERY rapidly grow out to 6-8 inches.

These relatively new-to-us vermin decimate the entire populations of; mice, squirrels, chipmunks and many birds. Consequently, they keep the tiny critters out of our lives but bring their own exceptionally destructive ways in the trade-off.

They will fill an entire engine bay right up to the hood with cactus and bougainvillea thorns to build a habitat in only days.... And then, commence to destroying the cars wiring and tubing.

But hey.... they can't fit into a Kohler's tin - so - we got that going for us.;)

In another strange twist - I once had a family or two set up domicile under my favorite shed - right up until bees (mine are hybridized) set up under there. Seems the rats made off with all our mice some 20 years ago, then, my killer-bees did away with the rats. Now, the bees and I are operating under a more or less; live-&-let-live armistice.

Todd.

New head is on which allowed me to replace all of the cooling tin....

What a difference!

Sadly, in poking around at the top-end I see I'm close to seriously needing valve guides. Are the guides inserts on this Kohler?

Now, back to the Scout and the Loadstar.

Todd.

Be careful about blasted heads, blasting a head could mess it up. I have done a couple, but I turn the air down low, and just lightly blast it enough to shine it up a little.

Back