• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1882 don't cut all of it ?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It never ceases to amaze me the number of people that know more than the people that built any machine, that think they know more about how to run said machines than the designers/makers. Funny how those compaines ever survived not knowing how to run what they made!

I have to agree Charlie. I don’t sell anything, but I have been using Cub Cadets for over 40 years. Dad and I both, if the tractor is working (mowing, tilling, throwing, pushing snow, etc) it’s WOT. We’ve gotten 1000’s of hours and decades of service before a rebuild has been needed. Plus proper maintenance, blow the tins out every once in a while, and they will run a long time.

From what I have seen, almost all equipment runs this way, from a small trash pump, to a huge bulldozer, they run at WOT when they are working. Can’t say I’ve ever seen a farmer working in a field and the tractor is at half throttle......

As I stated, the ones that advocate running high rpms when not needed are the ones selling replacements. Doesn't the fact that I have many years of running my way with no problems mean anything?
P.S. You'd need ear protection to run that 25 hp. Kohler wide open

So do the small engines. I have a pair of earmuffs that hangs on the lift lever. I wear them when I weed whack and use the push mower. I forgot my earmuffs once when I was going to till a small garden. That was an unpleasant 20 minutes.

Once again, working from home so I got time! I can tell you after reviewing my ariens ezr manual , my cub cadet 2182 manual(1200 hours), my 23hp z-force 50 manual(1181 hours), my ZTR20 48 fab they all state: to ensure proper cooling of the engine, adequate charging of the battery and optimal performance of the equipment operate at full throttle after warmup. Even my K241 manual states to run the engine at the specified speed of the equipment manufacturer for best performance and engine life. The 106 manual states that best performance of pto equipment is achieved with throttle in “fast” position. This is an original engine 69-71 tractor.
I agree with digger cub cadet, ariens, kubota, kohler, Briggs, and I am not selling anything. In the end you own it now so do with it as you please.
My car manual recommends oil changes at 7500 i still change it at 5000 - my rebellious side I guess!

Doesn't the fact that I have many years of running my way with no problems mean anything?

It does, to me and my laser thermometer as well as a Flir camera I used from work... I don't / won't / run wot to mow. If the motor is lugging / bogging down I increase the throttle as needed. When it's no longer needed, I ease off the throttle. Simple as that and it works for me. It's how I prefer to operate and don't worry what others think. YMMV.

Please post pictures of the underside of deck, blades, and the lawn pre/post mowing. Make sure front of deck level side to side and slightly inclined front to back. Not too much or you might lose suction. With that info I can help you

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people that know more than the people that built any machine, that think they know more about how to run said machines than the designers/makers. Funny how those companies ever survived not knowing how to run what they made!
Amen, I always wondered that myself.

even after we all gave our 2 cents worth on the 1882 leaving uncut grass,,, we still dont know what he did, to solve the problem!!!??? was it blades, slipping belt, ground speed, Engine rpm, or just plain Gosh Darn tough grass that refuses to be cut ??!!! I was hoping we would have a solution to the problem. In my case,,, Operator error caused by trying to mow with a certain kind of beverage in one hand, and waving at the grandkids, and maybe trying to dodge a 6 year old armed with a garden hose! could be the cause !! :sneaky: :D

The yard today.
20200418_092524.jpg

As I stated, the ones that advocate running high rpms when not needed are the ones selling replacements. Doesn't the fact that I have many years of running my way with no problems mean anything?
P.S. You'd need ear protection to run that 25 hp. Kohler wide open

My 24 hp is much quieter than any of my K series 10,12,14,16hp motors. and yes I always wear eye and ear protection

Back