• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1872 SGT NEW TO ME. JUST BOUGHT IT A MONTH AGO.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well yes, it is my choice in the end, but I like to get others' opinions about the ideas I may come up with, collaboration is one of the pillars of my work as an aircraft mechanic and so I tend to collaborate with others outside of work on my projects to gather a full perspective on the decision-making process, once again thank you all for this input.

One thing that I think PACub100 may have been referring to that I really didn't like about my 1872, was the cheapening of the fender pan. CCC did away with the side stiffeners as well as most of the battery box. If you leaned on the fender you could see it flex down slightly. Never happen on the earlier IHCC fender pan like the 1x8/9 or Quiet Line series (but I never looked at the pan on an 82 series or even a 982). I'm assuming the 82 series was the same as the 1x8/9 and Quiet Line.
I was not aware of this change. All of my machines are CCC produced, so I don't have a 1980-81 82 series to compare that area with. The very early CCC tractors were using up parts made by/for IH, like the IH steering wheel caps, and INTERNATIONAL CUB CADET embossed dash panels.

Oh I suppose someone could make a claim that eventually the change to the fender pan was done so CCC could place the gas tank under the seat and not be a fire hazard under the hood. But then again where was ole Ralph Nader when you need him. Aren't the newer Garden Tractors subject to explosion if hit in the rearend? :drool2:

Oh I suppose someone could make a claim that eventually the change to the fender pan was done so CCC could place the gas tank under the seat and not be a fire hazard under the hood. But then again where was ole Ralph Nader when you need him. Aren't the newer Garden Tractors subject to explosion if hit in the rearend? :drool2:
If my Super is going to catch fire, I would much rather it be behind than in front.:yikes:

WHO REALLY CARES WHAT OTHERS THINK MAN!!!!!!!!!!! Do what you want to do, it's your post!

I agree with this on many levels.....

The best looking wideframe (a 149 if I remember correctly) was owned by a friend of ours. He actually owned the closest IH Dealer to Mon and Dad's house. He had the shop paint all the yellow, IH Red...... that was one sharp tractor... and was his pride and joy......

Just like I like the replacement grilles that a couple fellas have made for the 82 Series that have square headlights, and match the "angle" of the surround and make them looks like the 88 Series tractors..... in my opinion, how they should have been.

I've also seen on here Cub Cadets (and not pullers, they are not part of this) that have been painted, purple, or pink, or light blue.... These were painted this way for the particular owner, as these colors had a significance... (or the one, I think was because his grand daughter liked the color)......

There is one more paint scheme the factory did.. and while not used directly on Cub Cadets, there have been a few done before and that is the demonstrator paint scheme of white / gold and black. Perhaps Kraig can share a picture or two.?.? I'll see if I can find a pic also.

Scroll through this to see some different schemes. Mini International Tractor spotted

I always thought IH should have went with red for the Cub Cadets.
My favorite paint scheme was the red/white 1964 Farmall Cub, they only made a few but I think it would have looked great on Cub Cadets.
Untitled.jpg

Greetings Mark, I'm in north Georgia. Not too many Cub guys down here and even less Cub Cadets. Keep the aluminum tranny and add the braces. I make those for all my machines now. I use PPG paint too and I vote for going original. My PPG guy said the white paint code was not valid. Let me know what your guy says. I took a NOS mule drive to him and he mixed me a paint that was spot on. Let me know if ya need the code sheet.

I have finally decided to go original paint just to keep the proper nostalgia about the cub, I was wrestling with the idea of a change but I'm pretty much a purist at heart so that is the way I must go!

and by the way you are right we cub guys in Georgia seem to be far and few between, I have acquired my machines from Michigan, North Carolina and from other faraway lands. I am a lonely subject to the cub court if you know what I am saying. there is really no one particular group around here that is dedicated to the cause. it's like everyone is a box store owner and they just go for the pretty store-bought lawn tractors, not like our classics.

PACUB 100 I am pretty much all in for the original paint restore, I just cannot bring myself to undo the original skin of the tractor, as one of the other guys said, take what the cub gods have given us and keep it as it should be! I have come to terms with the preservation of the class of tractor and will not violate the sacrament of the blood line, lol wow I said a lot! sorry for rambling on.

WELL as I get further along maybe I can road trip and start to bring them in and restore as a retirement job, but that's a few years out. however, the guy I know working at Oriley auto parts said he knows people into the gardening and would send my name out there. and drum up some business for me this just might be my starting point for a career in classic cub / other GT'S as a second income. we will, see? and by the way I just dropped off my new tires and rims to the tire shop today should have Picts of the new rubber this weekend sometime.

WELL as I get further along maybe I can road trip and start to bring them in and restore as a retirement job, but that's a few years out. however, the guy I know working at Oriley auto parts said he knows people into the gardening and would send my name out there. and drum up some business for me this just might be my starting point for a career in classic cub / other GT'S as a second income. we will, see? and by the way I just dropped off my new tires and rims to the tire shop today should have Picts of the new rubber this weekend sometime.

Now Marks - real Cub guys do their own tire work. They don't drop them off at a tire shop, especially if you're talking about the rear 26x12x12. Those should be easy-peasy. Fronts could be another story, but the 18x8x8 is easier than the 16x6x8. (Well at least they do their own rears 7 or 8 times so they know what's involved. Rears on 12" wheels really aren't bad, but the fronts, well, if your age is getting on up there then a tire shop might well be in the cards).

Back