• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1872 SGT NEW TO ME. JUST BOUGHT IT A MONTH AGO.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I AM JUST BEGINNING THE RESEARCH ON HOW TO BEST GO ABOUT CONVERTING MY 1872 ALUNIMUM REAR END CASING INTO A CAST IRON REAR END CASING, THE GENERAL QUESTION TO START WITH IS WHICH CAST IRON DONOR IS BEST CHOICE FOR MY CONVERSION?
There's no point in changing it out unless something is broken.
If your worried about that issue, you can get this setup to resolve it.

1656794198936.png

https://www.ccspecialties.org/clutch_driveline_rearend.html

The ears can and do break off in extreme situations, and the frame to rear bolts break off in the alum. housing or loosen. Due diligence goes a long way! I don't hear of ring gear or fine spline axle shaft failures.
I have seen the frame bolts break in the cast iron units. Once they loosen they twist and wallow out the surrounding metal, Also in the cast units there have been ring gear and axle failures, the coarse splines can break /strip off. I did one myself plowing furrows one spring. Not much of a trade off maybe??

One thing for sure. Changing from aluminum to cast iron will certainly add some weight. When I had the fenders off my 1872 I was surprised when I was able to lift the rear end with 1 arm. Couldn't do that with cast iron.
I know aluminum has it's place, but I just never cared for it in a rear end. I always wondered if they thought it was so strong why didn't they use it for front axles, or did they?

OK, THANK YOU ALL FOR THIS INSIGHT. I AM DOING THE RESEARCH PREEMPTIVELY FOR A POSSIBLE FUTURE FIX, IF IT SHOULD HAPPEN... SO BEING A MECHANIC THAT IS PREPARED FOR WHAT EVER? I AM TAKING THE STEPS TO GET THE INFORMATION AND PARTS LIST READY FOR DOWN THE ROAD. HOW EVER MY TRACTOR IS FINE AS IS AND I HAVE NO INTENSIONS OF FIXING SOMETHING THAT IS NOT BROKE. AS FAR AS THE CCC VS. IH I AM OK WITH THE EARLY CCC I BELIVE THEY ARE GREAT MACHINES OR I WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT MY 1872, AS 1811 CUB SAY AFTER 1997. NOT VERY GOOD IN MY OPINION ALSO.

P.S. so apparently some people don't like caps, sorry I will try to stop for those people... but understand why before being critical of me for doing so. it is a force of habit. if you read my profile, you will know that I work on aircraft for a living, CAPS ARE MANDATORY WHERE I WORK, for clarity and no misunderstanding of the letter that is being written in an official signoff return to service of airworthy aircraft.

Mark - since you're an aircraft mechanic just wondering if you have seen Sundstrand Hydrostatic pumps used on airplanes that are similar to the ones on the CC Garden and Super Garden Tractors like your 1872. These pumps are pretty bullet proof on the tractors so just wondered about airplanes.

Welcome aboard Mark,
I developed a habit of checking frame to bolt tightness on a couple 1872's I owned. The was after discovering loose and broken bolts. rarely one would need torqued a bit. But overall, among my favorite tractors.
Curt

My new to me 1572d has 1800 hours on it it has been taken care of but used. When I took the seat off to clean the tank I couldn’t believe how flimsy the whole thing is I can defiantly see how the bolts can come loose on the rear end. From what I’m hearing there are some upgrades people have done.

JD, what's flimsy on your 1572? I'd like to know which benchmark you are comparing your tractor to?

Hamelton sun strand is a provider for various aircraft parts related to APUS and ENGINE COMPONENTS I do get the oppertunity to swap these parts sometimes as required, but the MFR. will do the overhauls. I can be more specific if you like some time, regards mark...

JUST WANTED TO SAY THANKS FOR ALL THE GREETINGS FROM THE PEOPLE ON MY THREAD. I SHOULD HAVE PICTS SOON OF MY 1872 AND IN WORK OR OTHER WISE TRACTORS, THE RAIN IS NOT HELPING ME GET ER' DONE.

Hamelton sun strand is a provider for various aircraft parts related to APUS and ENGINE COMPONENTS I do get the oppertunity to swap these parts sometimes as required, but the MFR. will do the overhauls. I can be more specific if you like some time, regards mark...
Mark - that's kinda interesting. I wonder if they would overhaul these tractor pumps. I think the common model number is "S-15" but others on here that have a pump handy or better memory can provide the correct number.

I will try to find some contact info, however i think the contacts I can get are aircraft specific, maybe they can direct us cub guys to another area of their company to help us with our needs? give me a little bit of time and I will post as soon as I can figure out the contacts.

AND THIS IS MY NEICES FIRST CUB, SHES SO PROUD OF IT ALSO.

Attachments

• FC1.jpg
    FC1.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 0
  • FC2.jpg
    FC2.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 0
  • FC3.jpg
    FC3.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 0
  • FC4.jpg
    FC4.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 0
  • FC5.jpg
    FC5.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 0
well, it's been a while for me. busy busy! I will be adding the extreme braces and cat0 3point very soon, I am prepping the metal and getting ready for paint in my spare time. so, after reading all you guys inputs the aluminum axel stay as is until I have a failure if? it should ever happen. I've added some Picts of my 1872 as it is today 792hrs. and in very good shape, I think. I will use this thread as a rolling history of the upgrades and restoration as they happen for all to see.

Attachments

• SGT1.jpg
    SGT1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 0
  • SGT2.jpg
    SGT2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SGT3.jpg
    SGT3.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 0
  • SGT4.jpg
    SGT4.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 0
  • SGT5.jpg
    SGT5.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 0
P.S. no info on the Sundstrand contact info yet, they seem to be elusive to me I am trying to contact one of the folks in the shipping / services dept. to see if they can help me with a contact. be patient I am trying.

Back