• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsimon

displayname
Hugh Simon
Just bought me an 1864 and brought it home to be a snowblower tractor. Is there any good or bad that I should be aware of on this tractor. It is a lot better than it looks in these pictures.

53498.jpg

53499.jpg

I'm thinking next winter it will be a real "hog" on the snow with a 451 on the front of it.

Hugh,
Kinda late to ask after ya buy that off yeller thing ain't it!
What! The PO dint tell ya if there was sawdust in the engine or STP in the rearend?
uhoh.gif

Hugh:

I put a little over 1500 hours on a 1863 before getting a 3200. With no problems. The 1864 will do a great job pushing snow. You will probably need to think about a set of rear weights and chains.

Just used the 1864 and 451 today on the snow that we got and that combo is a real SNOW EATTING MACHINE!!!! Just put chains on over the turfs and had no traction issues but I am gonna put a set of rear tires on that I have tubes in that are filled with calcium and then put chains on along with a set of wheel weights just to make sure that I can have enough traction.

Hugh
Just for reference, I use a 50# weight on each wheel, and 4 40# suite case weights on the rear, no fluids in the tires and I have all the traction I need.
75619.jpg

Lonny - you are running ag's though and I'm running turfs. You are a lot lighter than me but a lot of the drives I plow are steep so I wanna make sure I'm weighted down appropriately.

Hugh

The rears look like ags but are actualy ATV tires, Swamp Fox 24 x9.00 x 12

Heres what a set of 23 x 8.00 x 12 on my 72 look like
75623.jpg

I think that offer a better bite than the ags I had been useing for plowing.

Hugh.

I was useing turfs with chains the first year but did not like the chains ripping loose the hydro lines and the cable to the diff lock, so I switched to the swamp fox tires as they where the only tire I could find in the 24" size that closest looked like an ag tread.
I am not dissapointed in the way they dig in and this way I can leave them on year round.

Lonny, what size rims do you have the 24 x9.00 x 12 Swamp Fox tires on? Good looking tire, it might be perfect for my Utility Cub project....

I had a 1864...it dropped the cam into the rotating assembly, blew oil everywhere, and the tractor burnt...but lets hope that doesn't happen to yours!
happy.gif

Bought it for the PS to put on the 782D...which should be at the spring PD this year.

Kraig - I found the Swamp Fox in 26x12-12 shipped $211 per pair. 1.2" tread depth 6 ply. They'd look nice on the 1882
buttrock.gif

-OR- you can buy them from the same company on ecrazy for $170 shipped
happy.gif
~

Hugh

The 24-9-12 swamp fox are on rims for a 2186 cub cadet and I belive the size of the rims is designed for a 23-9.50-12 turf tire.
I had to order the rims for the 2186 as they do not make a rim smaller than for a 24-10.50-12 tire.
Wider tires would not fit under the fender deck due to the loaction of the gas tank.

I got my swamp fox from Tires Unlimited
AMS Swamp Fox
http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL TIRES/AMS/AMS atv/ams_atv_tires.htm

Hugh.

I was useing turfs with chains the first year but did not like the chains ripping loose the hydro lines and the cable to the diff lock, so I switched to the swamp fox tires as they where the only tire I could find in the 24" size that closest looked like an ag tread.
I am not dissapointed in the way they dig in and this way I can leave them on year round.
Diff Lock ? How is this activated please..

Back