• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1864 plastic panels cracking

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstewart

IHCC Supporter
displayname
jon stewart
I've got an 1864 that has some cracks. 3M has urethane repair goo for such things, but I am considering trying to use the originals as a pattern for molding fiberglass replacements. If I make a wood frame, lay the side panel or whatever down with cling wrap on it and spray expanding foam on it to create a mold.............I could layer fiberglass into it and do away with the plastic crap.
Has anybody tried something similar?

If you can make it work, and make it viable, you could have a fairly decent market for such a thing. Be aware that the material will not only have to be resilient to impact damage, but also heat resistant.

I've often had this thought myself, but it will be difficult to replicate some of the finer details in fiberglass, particularly in the nosepiece and hood.

I'd use good epoxy and not vinylester resin. I think you'd struggle to keep the cost (and labor) reasonable enough to be able to sell them.

If you have no fiberglass experience, this is probably not a good first project.

Not new to fiberglass, have rebuilt wrecked truck hoods and fairings for midget racers, not looking for a new job making parts either. I'm dealing with a lifetime of effects from such work.
Just looking for a better option..................some of the details would need to be altered accordingly.

Back in college I was taking a plastics tooling class. I couldn't afford a frame mount "Windjammer" type fairing for my motorcycle. I borrowed one from my boss, used a mold release of kerosene and Vaseline and poured a plaster female form on it. It was reinforced with hemp - think old rope. From there sanded detailed and primer painted. Then a male plaster form was poured into that-same process. Finally I sprayed gel coat on the male form and laid up a fiberglass mold. I put metal tire valves in detailed locations to help release the part. So mold was complete and we made several fairings from the mold. Different color gel coats, some out of mat, some sprayed with a chopper gun. It was fun but quite a bit of work. I was 20 it was my junior year...I am 63 now! I used similar processes to make a couple corners for my recently completed bathtub 60. It could be done!

Attachments

• 20220414_083227.jpg
    20220414_083227.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 43
I'll probably go for the 3M urethane repair for now, but, for the front grill surround, I may do it in fiberglass . Will have to assess the old one

OK, I'm thinking about moving ahead with my fiberglass molding idea. The Super Cyclops has helped push me into starting this additional project.

The plastic "pins" that locate the side panels are usually the first casualty and the Super's side panels look to be pretty easy to duplicate. Will be building a mold pretty soon, if my spray foam idea works out.

OK, I'm thinking about moving ahead with my fiberglass molding idea. The Super Cyclops has helped push me into starting this additional project.

The plastic "pins" that locate the side panels are usually the first casualty and the Super's side panels look to be pretty easy to duplicate. Will be building a mold pretty soon, if my spray foam idea works out.
Interesting idea, now that is DIY. The 2182 I have has panels with the cooling lovers and a few are knocked out — that panel is selling on ebay NOS for $180, ouch.

The 2082 looks to be easier to duplicate to me, toward the back of the side panel, it has vents, that look easier to reproduce than the mesh panel in my 1864. The mesh also has a bit of corrugation in it.

Back