• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1863 PTO will not stay engaged

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafoster

displayname
Robert Foster
I have a 1863 Cub Cadet that I have been using for several years. My PTO will not stay engaged unless toggle is held or secured in forward position. The seat and reverse safety switches were disconnected when I bought it.

I have checked air gap on PTO and it is okay. I installed a new PTO switch which did not change anything. I cleaned contacts. I don't know if there is a PTO relay on this model or not.
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Robert

Robert F. I dont know how to 'cut/paste' so ur gonna have to type to get additional answers.
Go up top where the business cards are and click on 'Cub Cadet Parts Lookup'
on right put in ur model '1863'
2 choices on left...pick correct serial #
now pick parts
slide down the list and find Electrical System...
Ergo! a wire diagram...the relay in the ckt is for disengage clutch in reverse...
You said you pushed on the switch and it worked, but new switch didnt help. Strange

The dealer's mechanic thought that he was helping me by re-routing the 782Ds pto switch so that I could mow in reverse without the pto kicking out and having to restart. That worked great for a short while and then troubles began like yours. It turns out that little "jumper" wire was actually short-circuiting the system. Myron Bounds helped troubleshoot things for me. I hooked that back up the way it is supposed to be and now even though I have the mower stop when backing up the pto works great. For now start by looking at the wires nearest your forward/reverse handle and hook them up the way they should be. In particular look for the wires that would be connected to the switch that kicks the pto out of motion as soon as the handle is moved into reverse.
195284.gif

Back