• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1863 Cub Cadet Rocker Arm

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Albring

Had replaced both head gaskets, due to oil leak and mower ran smooth first day afterwards. Next day, hooked up log splitter and noticed engine seemed to be running a little rough and heard rattling from rocker arm area. Then when I was backing up log splitter to wood pile, the engine backed fired a couple times too. I checked rocker arm, thinking maybe a loose screw so checked with torque wrench even though the screw didn't appear to look loose. The screw just continually turned without getting tight, so I'm thinking it's possibly stripped, so do I just need to order replacement screw and torque back down? Also, I noticed some odd white substance inside the rocker arm compartment and have no idea where it came from. Any suggestions are welcome as I was so excited earlier after completing replacement of my head gaskets and mower running great afterwards, only to be upset the next day with engine performance/noise. Thanks

Attachments

• Rocker Arm Compartment.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
The hole for the rocker arm bolt is stripped in the head. IMO, the torque spec is VERY close to the value that strips the threads. I had this happen to one of mine, and reduced the torque value by 10-15%. Bolt is fine, you will need to helicoil the threads in the head.
Thanks for your help and will do that! I'm guessing this is some type of kit I'll need to re-thread the head for rocker arm bolt? Working on mowers is all new to me, but never afraid to try and tackle something myself, especially to save money. Since you've already been down this road, where do I get my hands on a helicoil specific for the size I need for my 1863 please? Thanks again for your advice and help!

This is the kit I used. (Double check the size when you remove the bolt...I am 98% sure this is the one. Lots of M6x1 hardware on the Commands) When I bought it 3 years ago it was about half the price. There are some Chinese knockoffs that do the same thing..I also have a few of those kits for different sizes; they work fine, but if you go that route I'd at least buy the Heli-coil brand inserts.

https://www.amazon.com/Heli-Coil-He...mzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

This is the kit I used. (Double check the size when you remove the bolt...I am 98% sure this is the one. Lots of M6x1 hardware on the Commands) When I bought it 3 years ago it was about half the price. There are some Chinese knockoffs that do the same thing..I also have a few of those kits for different sizes; they work fine, but if you go that route I'd at least buy the Heli-coil brand inserts.

https://www.amazon.com/Heli-Coil-He...mzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840
Thanks a bunch and will order today! Will look for video on how to use........thank you!

Thanks a bunch and will order today! Will look for video on how to use........thank you!
So when I go to use my torque wrench, 160 in lbs = 13.33 ft lbs, but you recommended using less torque to avoid this issue in the future. So what torque value will be safe and still be adequate? Thanks

So when I go to use my torque wrench, 160 in lbs = 13.33 ft lbs, but you recommended using less torque to avoid this issue in the future. So what torque value will be safe and still be adequate? Thanks

Attachments

• 20221019_163206.jpg
    20221019_163206.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221019_162942.jpg
    20221019_162942.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221019_161839.jpg
    20221019_161839.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221019_163544.jpg
    20221019_163544.jpg
    609.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221019_163436.jpg
    20221019_163436.jpg
    708.6 KB · Views: 0
To be honest I can't remember what I did on mine after I repaired it. 120-130 in-lb is probably tight enough to not loosen but not too tight as to strip the threads.

To be honest I can't remember what I did on mine after I repaired it. 120-130 in-lb is probably tight enough to not loosen but not too tight as to strip the threads.
I have the kit and I'm supposed to pre-drill hole prior to using tap. However, the M6 screw fits thru 15/64 hole chart and 1/4 relatively close. Should I see what bit fits better in Rocker Arm hole to determine the correct size to use? Sorry, this is first time ever doing and don't want to screw this up? I just want to make sure I use correct drill bit size to pre-drill so I don't mess up hole for tapping.

You want enough material left for the helicoil to grip correctly or you will be in the same mess. What does the instructions for the heli coil kit say?

Don't worry about the bolt right now. Your drilling the hole to be the proper size for the tap to make threads for the outside diameter of the heli coil to grip correctly. The inside diameter of the heli coil will be the correct diameter to grip the bolt it's self.

Don't worry about the bolt right now. Your drilling the hole to be the proper size for the tap to make threads for the outside diameter of the heli coil to grip correctly. The inside diameter of the heli coil will be the correct diameter to grip the bolt it's self.
Thanks for info.......you were absolutely right! I used 1/4 bit, which was the proper size of tap. All went well and she's back in service! Thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back