• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1862 PTO problem, Opposite of John's

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcamille

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Gary Camille
20210425_124253.jpg

PTO always on with switch off. Putting heavy drag on starter. I checked that there is no voltage at PTO. First time doing electric clutch. Can just polishing up the surfaces help. Or the manual speaks of an air gap. Is that air gap measured between these two pieces and is it adjusted by the plate held with the springs behind it.

After further inspection, see that the bearing is hanging up.
What is the best option ? Replace just the bearing, how to best get it out ?
Is the bearing hard to find ?
Or place the half of clutch w/ bearing.

20210425_143030.jpg

Busted stud. So guess replacing whole thing. Plus saw stamped crimps to hold bearing in, would probably be a real pain to replace.

I have changed the bearing in the PTO, a dremel and a good vise will get it out. Then I restake it plus some loc-tite when I put in a new one.
That missing rivet may be fixed with a small bolt and nut.

View attachment 143233
Busted stud. So guess replacing whole thing. Plus saw stamped crimps to hold bearing in, would probably be a real pain to replace.
Gary, I have replaced several brg in a clutch.It depends mostly on how they are mfg.Some just don't allow it.Some are quite easy.The springs on the bolts set the tension.Find out the right gap for your clutch.The electro magnet pulls against the springs to engage.Too close not good might not kick out..too far no clutch action.....Good clutches aren't cheap...by comparison brgs are and I have always been able to find a brg...

Gary, I have replaced several brg in a clutch.It depends mostly on how they are mfg.Some just don't allow it.Some are quite easy.The springs on the bolts set the tension.Find out the right gap for your clutch.The electro magnet pulls against the springs to engage.Too close not good might not kick out..too far no clutch action.....Good clutches aren't cheap...by comparison brgs are and I have always been able to find a brg...
Very Good . The only gap setting I have is out of the Service Manual.
Do you get your bearings local to where you live, or do you get them on line ?

Very Good . The only gap setting I have is out of the Service Manual.
Do you get your bearings local to where you live, or do you get them on line ?
Gary, every brg I buy gets micrometer comparison for accuracy.I buy them thru local auto parts store and mic them at the counter. If you have actual numbers from the brg housing you could order online but returns are a bitch...

Gary, every brg I buy gets micrometer comparison for accuracy.I buy them thru local auto parts store and mic them at the counter. If you have actual numbers from the brg housing you could order online but returns are a bitch...
That i can do. Good advice
Thanks

If I replace the rivet with a bolt is there clearance for the bolt head ?
Close up if the picture I posted shows the flat bars in there have moved. I'm guessing they are suppose to move ??? and why ?
So the bolt I would put in, can't be wrenched down , locknut needed w/ lock tight ?

If I replace the rivet with a bolt is there clearance for the bolt head ?
Close up if the picture I posted shows the flat bars in there have moved. I'm guessing they are suppose to move ??? and why ?
So the bolt I would put in, can't be wrenched down , locknut needed w/ lock tight ?
Best to junk what ya got and go with one that is 10 times better and serviceable down the road.
1619403542333.png

Back