• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1862 Governor surging

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a lean surge, and by using the choke, you are richening up the mixture. Sounds like the carb needs mixture screw adjustment. If that does not help, then a carb overhaul will be needed, along with fuel filter replacement. Might have some junk in it restricting the flow of fuel.

Try slowly backing out the upper mixture screw, which is the high speed. The lower one is the idle mixture. Backing them out will richen the mixture, and help if not correct the massive surging problem.

Definitely fuel supply related. Most likely a dirty carburetor, but fuel pump operation, fuel supply to fuel pump, and new fuel filter must be verified. Also, bad intake or carb to intake gaskets will cause a lean condition.

dirty carb....
the emulsion tube... probley has some crap stuck in it. some have 4 lil holes in them. some 2. has to come out to clean it.
20 or 30 bucks probley get a new carb. weigh headaches to loss of hair lol

when you take bowl off. that center post rite in the middle of the float. thats where it lives. no idea if yours can come out without ruining it. look into the throat of the carb. its sticking up in the middle. some press in. some screw in. some once in never come out.

find the replacement carb online. confirm price and able to get.. if so ..
then go for repairing the one u have. at least if you mess it up. 1 you learn from mistakes. 2nd you order new one. no big deal win win rite.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 82
You either really gotta clean that carb in carb soaker, which I have done with these, and it still surged, so I chucked it out and put a carter carb in there.

Ken,
What you are showing is for a carter carb, his is a Walbro, and that part is not removable.

You either really gotta clean that carb in carb soaker, which I have done with these, and it still surged, so I chucked it out and put a carter carb in there.

Ken,
What you are showing is for a carter carb, his is a Walbro, and that part is not removable.
i understand. but it gives basic ideas of whats wheres and so on ...
not to be rude to OP... sounds like this is a new road for him... so more info can be good can be bad. but gives him idea what is in there.
and one never really knows what comes apart with a big hammer lol hahhaaa ....

biggest take away would be CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN... hahha like a real clean motor to put back togther. ask me how i know that hahahhaha wait dont lol

Last edited:
No problem, I did install the carb into a 1860 after I cleaned it and still surged at WOT. Then I took the one off the 1861 and it put it on the 1860 and it ran fine, the 1861 started surging with the one from the 1860 so I chucked it in the trash...

Latest posts

Back