• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1811 Surging at less than full load on engine

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klindstedt

displayname
Kevin Lindstedt
My M18 recently started surging when I turn off the PTO and set the throttle below full. I first noticed it after two hours of mowing, when I slowed the engine down to pull the lawn sweeper. I've read that surging can be caused by a blockage in the idle circuit of the carb, so I've taken the carb apart and soaked it in carb cleaner overnight. Blew out all passages and reassembled with new gaskets and float valve. At the same time, I put all new fuel lines on and a Kohler-branded fuel filter. I set the idle speed and mixture per the directions in the Kohler manual and all seemed good... until I mowed this past weekend. The surging is still there. I can not duplicate it in the garage running the tractor to operating temperature, it only crops up after an extended use. The carb is a non-adjustable Walbro. I can get an new aftermarket Kohler #26 carb for a reasonable amount, but would need to swap the throttle and choke shafts to get the correct linkages.

Questions - Before I give up on the Walbro, what have I overlooked? Any other possible causes for surging?

If I get the new carb, will the choke and throttle shafts interchange with the ones in the Walbro? Reading online it looks like this is the case, but I wanted to ask here as well.

Thanks!

Make sure the governor arm has not slipped on the shaft, effecting governor sensitivity. Easy to reset per the manual.

Back