• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1782 style?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbextermueller

displayname
Nic Bextermueller
Quick q.uestion. Did they make the 1782 Super in both the traditional 82 series body style and the cyclops? I'm due to pick one up for free tomorrow and the PO is so oblivious to what he has, he's not sure what he has. I know it's a Super because he says it has dual brakes and power steering. He also said its "a 17 something" it also has a tired Onan engine. When I google it, I mostly get cyclops photos. But I'm pretty sure they made it in the older body style too.

Here's hoping it's an older one.

Nic

The 1572 and 1772 were diesel SGTs with the traditional 82 series styling, the gas models included the 1872 and 2072, along with the 1912 model which was a yellow/white 982. It did not have power steering like the others.
No Onans were used in the Cyclops, but a few early 2072's were built with them for a short time. I have never seen one, but Scott at Madson's(a sponsor of this site) and I discussed them.
My guess is that your friend saw one with a Magnum Kohler in, much more common. They had one large muffler, whereas the Onan used 2 small mufflers

Nic, if it has an Onan it's most likely a 2072. And Jim is correct, the early 2072 had a 20hp Onan. Not sure how many were built but I believe it was soon replaced with the Kohler Magnum.

238457.jpg

238458.jpg

238459.jpg

Sounds like a heck of a machine, whichever model it is. The data sheet reads like a dream!

Thanks for posting it, Kraig.
greenthumb.gif

By-the-way, has anyone ever suggested a Pamphlets section like we have for the manuals? It would be really neat to have a reference to learn the details and options in a more fully "pictorial" fashion than the Parts Lookup offers.

Mystery Solved!!

I picked up my newest cub this morning. Proof positive the PO had no idea what he had sitting in his yard. I turned out to be a 2072 with a M20 and 1132 hrs on the clock. the 50" deck has been spray painted JD yellow
eek.gif

238518.jpg

He says it runs, but hasn't been ran in 2 years. It turns by hand, but needs a good bit of TLC. By the looks of the oil in the air cleaner and exhaust, it's burning oil pretty badly. I do believe the M20 is worth a rebuild. I'll have to get a bit further into it.

Keep in mind this was a free tractor. Big thanks to my Dad for "finding" it. I was a guy he worked with. I'm just happy I can finally say I own a Super.

Wow! Dual Brakes and the whole 9 yards! I'm sure the M20 will reward you with great service once you go through it. I'm very happy with my M18.

Great find!

Speaking as a dad, I think you owe him a steak dinner or a 12 pack or something he really likes.
cubwinker.gif

Nic,
Welcome to the "Super Club"!
Shift.gif
That is a machine that will last a life time. The TLC is worth it for the satisfaction that comes from using one of those work horses. I've really enjoyed using mine over the last couple of years. The best part is that you got it for free which is unbelievable!
feint.gif
I think you need to start a refurbish thread when you get to rebuilding it. One question--what is the serial number on the tractor and on the engine? I'm interested in knowing how close your production number is to my 1772. I also have an M20 that I've retrofitted to my 682 Cubbie that I'm pretty sure came out of a 2072 in a previous life.

Great Find and great machine! Good Luck with it!

Josh,

My tractor is model # 148730100 serial # 778779.
The M20S is serial # 1712704406

Can anybody direct me to page to decode the tractor serial for the year of make? The little tag under the serial plate is unreadable.

I noticed that my mule drive is yellow and the one in the picture is white. I like the white a lot better. Now I just need to find a deck like that to really have a machine.

Nic,
I'm not the guru at this, but the info that I have would indicate that your tractor is a late model year production 1988. The serial number range for 1988 was 767352 thru 779096. Your engine was built in 1987 according to the first two numbers of the serial (i.e. 17=1987, 18=1988, etc.)
My Cub-Kub's (1772) number is 788540 which is the following year to yours and the only year they produced the 1772. My M20 is the same model year as yours with the serial being 1733710906.

The white mule drive and deck of course would be correct on that vintage of tractor. Mine has a later model deck on it and so I kept it yellow and painted the mule drive to match. If I ever get my hands on a period correct 60" then I'll paint it white as well.

Back