• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1772 questions

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmjackson

displayname
Mike Jackson
Hello everyone! I've recently acquired a 1772, and have a few questions, since this is my first SGT and kubota diesel:

It starts easily and runs well, but I noticed a foreign noise coming from the the rear of the driveshaft. After popping off the tunnel cover (only held on by 1 phillips head pan head screw, yuk!), i'm looking at what looks like a 10 bladed fan attached to a centrifugal clutch, which is then connected to the standard looking rear coupler to the sunstrand. The input shaft on the sunstrand is _splined_, and there is no roll pin in the hole. Is there supposed to be a roll pin in there? My gut says yes, since my '82 series and the 149 have them, but they have smooth input shafts.

Also, it looks like at some point the driveshaft broke, and hit the tunnel cover. It's got a NASTY looking dent in it. Without the cover, the frame flexes ALOT. Is this normal for a SGT to have ALOT of frame flex? I mean, I can sit in the seat and move the steering wheel side to side 3-4 inches. I've looked at the side of the frame and don't see any cracks or welds.

I'm also getting black smoke from the exhaust manifold on startup. Any history on the gaskets in that area, or cracking of manifolds or pipes? I haven't looked enough to see exactly where it's coming from yet... Mothers day took precedence on troubleshooting the new cub =)

In addition, I acquired a 54" hydraulic angling blade and the 60" mower. Are the manuals still available for them and the 1772 itself? Yes, I know I could click on the sponsor links, and I will give them all a ring tomorrow.

Yes, this is the one that was on e-pay in TN...

What I'll say is that I've got the diesel bug, tho... After running the 1772 around the yard, it makes me want to part with the 682 and 782, and look long and hard for a 782D (or another kubota powered cub GT) for my smaller GT tasks.

The 982s had a pin through the coupler the Supers are splined for more torque and rear PTO.It can be a bugger to get the pin in with the driveshaft in.

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I found the owners manual online over at MTD and spent some time reading through it today.

I'll order the roll pin and other odds and ends on Wednesday when i get a chance to pull the driveshaft apart. I can wiggle it around on the sunstrand end, which hopefully is the result of some worn bushings or something else replaceable.

I'll also ask the sponsors if gator blades are available for the 60C deck under this machine. The ones that are on it are about as sharp as a peice of flat iron.

It's also needing a water pump/alt belt, as the one that's on it is too wide. perfect time to replace it while the driveshaft is out.

Back