• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1712 Update/progress report

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcook

displayname
Bill Cook
A couple of weeks ago, I tried to fire up the 1712 to move it out of the shed, and the battery was dead, so we (my son and I) pulled it out of the way, and hooked it up to the charger. When we had gotten the stuff we needed, I unhooked the charger, and tried to fire it up again.....it fired and was smoking like a chimney!!!

It wouldn't run much above idle, and was running rough as h#ll, so I shut her down. Pulled the air filter off, and it was wet with gas. I figured I must have 'over choked' it, so I left the filter off, and tried again....same result, with gas shooting up out of the crancase breather tube in the base of the air filter housing
jawdrop.gif

So I shut her down again, and pulled the dipstick...you guessed it, gas in the oil.....so we pushed it into the shed.

I waited until I got every manual there is for the entire tractor, and talked to Roland about the problem...then secured parts....and this afternoon, I finally got to tear into the beast. Either the fuel pump diaphram went bad, or the needle in the carb got stuck open, or both.....

I had planned to 'go through' the entire tractor to make sure there wouldn't be any breakdowns this year, so I went ahead and bought quite a few parts.

Once we got the engine pretty much stripped down (man those KT17 sheet metal bolts are a PITA to get to!) and dug the mouse nest out from the frame by the hoses going to the front ports, I pulled the right side head...gas came pouring out
angry.gif
The exposed portion of the cylinder looked OK, so I turned the driveshaft so I could see the rest of the cylinder wall, and gas shot out of the left side exhaust port (
angry.gif
again) ....I then decided to pull the drain plug to see how much gas was in the crankcase....WOW!!! It must have been about full of gas!!

I left the drain plug out...and decorboned the piston and the valves, cleaned up the head, made sure it was within spec, and installed a new head gasket. Then torqued the bolts to spec. I also took the right side exhaust elbow off, and installed a new gasket, then re-installed it.

While I was fiddling with all of that, my son was working on installing a new seat, and starting on 'cleaning' the paint with Meguires Medium Cut Cleaner. While the seat and springs were off, he also removed the seat plate, and mounting brackets, and cleaned them up, then put everything back together. Those parts look sharp now!

I need to pick up some engine cleaner tomorrow and get the block cleaned up some (the PO seemed to miss the fill tube quite a bit!) Then get the left side head taken off, and look at that cylinder....hopefully all is well there. Then I'll start on the top of the engine.....new points, and fuel pump, plus tear the crankcase breather apart, for a new element and gaskets.

There just isn't enough hours in the day......

I took some pics...hopefully post them tomorrow.

(Message edited by Bcook on March 26, 2006)

Pics as promised!

34557.jpg

I got started before I remembered the camera...LOL

34558.jpg

The air filter is off

34559.jpg

battery is out and on the charger

34560.jpg

my boy has the seat off...the mounting plate is pretty cruddy...

34561.jpg

the old seat is junk!

34569.jpg

Getting her stripped down

34570.jpg

Mickey Mouse had a condo on top of the hoses for the front hydraulic ports.

34571.jpg

34572.jpg

What a mess!

While I was working on the engine, Brandon was getting the seat mounting plate looking better
34580.jpg

and installing the new seat
34581.jpg

I took both exhaust manifolds off, and put in the new gaskets
34582.jpg

34583.jpg

34584.jpg

34585.jpg

I finished the evening by replacing the headgasket on the right side...once the carbon was removed, the cylinder head was within spec. I also de-carboned the valves and piston.

Tonight I rolled her out of the garage, and used 2 cans of engine cleaner...(safe for use on Aluminum)

Even after using the blow gun at 120psi, she needs to dry out a little more..but it sure looks better!!

34590.jpg

34591.jpg

34592.jpg

I had two different 1872's over the years and both had the gas bleeding into the oil problem. I guessed it was a stuck float issue but took the lazy way out with an electric fuel shutoff. I would know immediately the fuel had infiltrated when I hit the starter, can't compress gas and then taking the plug out and turning over would shoot gas about 20 feet. The 1872 was among my favorite Cubs I ever owned! That's one of them in my Avatar.
3 14 09 013.jpg

Back