• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1711 Ready for Sap

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpientka

displayname
Bernie Pientka
Snow finally going and been doing some backyard maple sugaring. Carrying buckets with sap was getting old so spent a few hours today building a rack for the back of my 1711. I connected two sections of c-channel to frame (bolted in existing holes) and put a 2x4 deck onto the channels. Cold this week but can't wait to give it a try.

255505.jpg

255506.jpg

255507.jpg

Bernie, nice! That could be useful for quite a few things besides hauling sap. How about a photo or two of the mount to the frame?

Here is a close up of the bracket I connected to the frame. I am sorry the lighting isn't very good.

255597.jpg

You can see the c channel I connected to the frame with two bolts. The other side is mounted the same way. I did have to cut the top edge off the c-channel because the battery tie down and battery frame bolt were in the way. The c-channel goes in about 6 inches from the edge of the tractor frame. Once you have the two supports brackets you can pretty much build the top part anyway you want.

I will try to get a few better picture.

Bernie--I have a feeling that you will find all sorts of uses for that. Good work, you'll have to post pics as you continue to use it!

Bernie, I agree with Joshua on the usefulness of your setup. I wish I could give you a hand gathering sap from the "sugar bush" as my great-uncle used to call it. There is a certain feeling to the air when the sap is running, it is an exciting time. Winter's dormancy is yielding to the press of Spring's enthusiastic spurts of new growth.

Also nothing better than the sweet smell in the sugar house during boiling.

255782.jpg

Yes that is a 275 gal oil tank (free) which i made into a wood stove with a 2ft x 4ft stainless steel pan on it. I only use it for
maple syrup. When I get the system fired up I can boil off 10 gals of sap per hr. Will make a few more modifications to improve boil rate. Depending on sugar content of the sap you need 40-80 gals of sap to make 1 gal of syrup. While the kids and I enjoy the process (collection and boiling) my wife compares the excitement to watching paint dry.

No wonder why real maple syrup is expensive!

You can't buy those kind of memories with your kids though.

Randy

Well besides some issues with the starter bendix not engaging the 1711 made it though the sugaring season. We hauled almost 700 gals of sap to make just over 14 gals of syrup. Even with the three storage tanks filled (21 gals total) the 1711 had no troubles. Without the plow the front end was a little light but the front tires never left the ground. I was surprised how well the lawn tires with chains went through the mud. Unlike the ag tires on my 1512 which seem to dig down, the lawn tires seemed to float on top of the mud and the chains provided good traction. If I walked in the mud my foot would sink in more than the tractor. Do wish the front end tires were a little wider.

Time to start planning for next year. Maybe small tanker trailer.

Well I just finished version 2.0 of the 1711 Sap Hauler.
284418.jpg

Last years three jugs system worked OK but I saw a larger tank on clearance and picked it up. I have to make the weight decisions to see how full I will fill the tank.

Last year I carried 21 gals of sap (168 lbs) without any problem even without the snow plow. This year I adjusted the rack (lower on to the ground and wider) and put on a 35 gal tank. Filling the 35 gals (280lbs)up completely may be a little much so I will have to experiment with things.

Anyone know how much weight a cub cadet 3 pt hitch can lift?

Anyone have an idea of what would be Too much weight?

Bernie P. Offhand for some reason I'm thinking four hundred pounds. I may be wrong though and if so I hope someone corrects me. Are you making syrup or maple sugar candy? Either one sounds scrumptious.

Bernie, You didn't start for this year yet, did you? I thought the Sap doesn't flow for another month or so but I don't have any idea. I always wanted to tinker with maple confections. Useless with only one Mature tree in my yard.

Haven't collected anything yet. We still have snow past my knees in the woods. Weather has been too cold. These cub cadets surprise me ever day. I have been packing a trail in the snow with snowmobiles and my mini dozer. This 1711 with lawn tires and chains drives right up a pretty steep hill of packed snow without even spinning the tires.

My 1512 with ag tires and chains won't even come close to going up this hill.

Lawn tires and chains the only way to go!

Bernie, I'm going to chip in here and wish you all the luck in the world. As far as winters go, surely this can't be the "new normal". Keep us posted (and the pix coming). Today's just a year and 7 days from when you started this thread last year.
happy.gif

That's what I thought.. Vermont as well as most of us on the East coast has had a very Cold Winter, couldn't imagine the Trees Flowing yet.

Hauled the first 20 gals of sap Saturday night. Spent sometime tonight rigging things up. Put hooks for empty buckets and holder for pump hose/power cord.

285042.jpg

Weather looks good for sap run tomorrow.

Cub Cadet sap hauler worked great. The plow seemed to be just enough counter weight on the setup to handle hauling 35 gals of sap. At least until the ground thawed and turned into 6 inches of mud.

285478.jpg

Back