• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1711 hydro or 1864?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asaderholm

displayname
Andrew Saderholm
I'm new here but not to forums in general. I have a 1711 hydro with a kt17 series II that broke a rod awhile back. This was a great tractor and I have a cat 0 hitch for it that I really miss using. I have been getting the itch to fix it but I am suffering from sticker shock over the cost of parts and used engines. So in my search for an "angle" I have 2 questions for you all.

1. Is there somewhere to find reasonably priced parts for the kt17s and what am I looking at for this type of repair. I assume it will need at least 1 rod and the crank machined, full gasket set, minor valve work etc. I will do the work (except machining) myself as I am a professional mechanic but some of the parts are through the roof.

2. I have a line on a decent 1864. (I was searching for a donor motor) Is this a better tractor overall? would my cat 0 hitch mount up to it? would my mow deck (500c) work on it? ( It doesn't have a deck currently)Or would it make more sense to swap the engine out of this and into my 1711?

Thanks in advance for your time. I have a 2165 that I use to mow but that's really all it's good for. I really miss the old one and I'm afraid I am going to really need it this winter. (I have a bad feeling)

Andy-}

Andrew Saderholm: I would seriously consider the Model 1864, it uses the M18 motor with Magneto ignition, but otherwise operates much the same as the KT17 Series II. I'm told that some parts interchange between the KT17 and the M18, but that many do not. The M18 has the pressurized lubrication system, like the KT17 Series II, but also comes with a spin-on filter (not remote) which I don't think the KT17 Series II has (I may be mistaken). So, bottom line, the M18 can be fitted to the 1711 with the addition of a simple run relay, the details for which can be found on this site.

More importantly, the Model 1864 comes with power steering and the Cyclops-style Super-Steer axle P/N 719-3100 which has a tighter turning radius than the axle in your 1711 and uses a different style steering knuckle. You can read up on a true "Super Steer" upgrade in the FAQs.

I believe that all the steering components can also be transferred to the 1711, but it might be easier to fit the Cat-0 hitch from the 1711 to the 1864: the switch would be a judgement call you would need to make.

All I know is that both the engine and steering components (including the axle) are "best of breed" and you should have one heck of a tractor when you're done.

Good Luck.
smile.gif

Thanks for the info Jeremiah, I think I'm going to get the 1864 either way. He is asking less for it than any used kt17 I have found. Even if I swap the motor and steering over I would still come out better than trying to fix or replace my 17.

Other than the steering axle and the better motor are there any other major benefits to the cylops tractors over the *82s? I'm not really a fan of what they look like but I guess I could get used to it if it was better!!

Andrew,
IMO, the only thing "better" about the cyclops tractors are the parts already mentioned you should be swap to your 1711. The super steer alone is worth it. The cyclops are ugly and no wonder they all get scrapped to upgrade the older, better looking tractors. I'm jealous, my 782 could really use a cyclops donor just for good measure.

The 1864 has a Kohler Command 18 V-twin, not a Magnum 18 horizontally-opposed twin. It's a nice, fuel-efficient engine.

Matt, Thanks for the correction.
bottom.gif
I remember talking to a dealer about the Command engine; weren't there problems with the carburetion? According to the fellow I talked with, they never quite got it sorted out.

Andrew, I forgot to mention that there were two different versions of the 1864, I'm not sure what the differences were; but the break was at S/N 880,000; 880,000 and below are different than those 880,001 and above.

Jeremiah, I read somewhere today (probably on here) that the best way to fix the carb problems on a kohler 18 command was to use the carb off of a kt or a magnum. I have no idea if this works or not but I just happen to have one of these that won't have much to do shortly.

I've never had any carb problems on my CH18 and never heard of anyone else having them either. The carb is completely different than a KT or Magnum.

They did have some issues with head gaskets early on but I think they got that straightened out.

Back