• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1711 Driveshaft seems long

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpientka

displayname
Bernie Pientka
Hello All,

Last week while mowing the my 1711 started to make a ticking sound. Then started to coast down hill and I had no hydro power. After examining things the spiral pin by the pump fell out and the sound was just the drive shaft spinning on the pump shaft.

Took everything apart to identify all the bad parts while checking things I noticed that the drive shaft seems about 1/4 to long.

261189.jpg

Photo with driveshaft pin hole lined up. See how the coupler hits the charge pump.

261190.jpg

Photo with pump and coupler pin hole lined up.

Now I can push things together to make the pins line up but I am not sure this is the right thing to do.

I tried to move the engine mounting plate forward slightly but it did not move. I can try to loosen the engine mounting bolts and try to push it slightly forward.

Any Ideas?

Bernie; I haven't repaired a joint like that but looks to me like you could turn the 2 bolts around so the nut and flat washer would be against the rubber disc. I think the bolt head would miss the charge pump.

Luther,

Those bolts are just inserted to check out position. When it is actually assembled they go exactly like you mentioned. Either way the bolts don't hit it. The problem is coupler hit the seal on the charge pump. My coupler was worn (pin holes out of round and hole for pump shaft). I just wanted to make sure things were not worn because of the pressure on the driveshaft.

Well everything is back together and I was able to mow the lawn. While I had the driveshaft out I took the time to remove the steering column and go through it. Only worn part I found was the follower.

261376.jpg

Thanks to Charlie I have a new follower, seals and steering upgrade kit. I notice a big improvement in steering. Could be the steering upgrade could also be replacement of the nasty grease or a combination of both.

Either way, I now need to pull the steering out of the 1512 and do the same thing.

Back