• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

169 OWNERS COLLECT HERE

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, chalk one BIG ONE up for Gerry Ide. He's the one that mentioned checking the wiring on the coil and condensor.
HOOOORAY for Gerry!!!!!
greenthumb.gif

John - now ya still gotta set the timing dead nuts on the S or SP mark in the site hole.
I haven't the slightest idea on what's up with your hydraulic lift. Maybe someone didn't switch the spring and other stuff when they converted the manual lift to hydraulic.

I'm still questioning why the 169 had a IH spring assist on it. I wouldn't have thought that it was a temporary add when it was shipped with manual lift, then was added hyd lift at dealership. Possibly it was addd because there was a weak area in the lift part of hydraulics? I've tried adjusting it around differently - no luck. Removed it last night to see if maybe it was doing more bad than good.

John,, when IH shipped the 169 with manual lift it was up to the owner or dealer to install a hydraulic lift. Many 169 never got the hydraulics added just like mine.

So if the purchaser did not want to spend the money they could just add the spring assist.

weak link
bottom.gif

Good news, replaced the relief valve on top of hydro for the lift valve and she lifts my tandem disc now with a 50# weight on it. Struggles with another 120# though. lol

It's finally getting back on my good side.

beerchug.gif

259319.jpg

What a trip! Nearly 20 hours now on the K341 rebuild and no serious issues that I'm not responsible for. Had to take the engine out to properly tighten the oil pan (sound familiar, Don T.?) The PTO/Drive belt was a POS so changed that. The deck belt was either installed backwards or flipped, so changed that. This 50" deck is a whole new world! I'm under the impression that this machine was used to mow a golf course and what I'm "mowing" is far from being a golf course! For side hills it's like having outriggers. It's still a work in progress, but it's totally worthwhile IMHO.
beerchug.gif
happy.gif

Frank - glad to see/hear she's coming along sweet. Those swivel deck wheels are something I hadn't seen before, except on the monster 60" Haban deck for the Supers. Looks like they would work, but I assume you're using the deck in a float position not riding the wheels. When we getting the video???

Harry and Don: Before I add video I need speakers on this confuser to double check my input. That being said, I'd like to thank you for your gentle pushing to give me the incentive to keep putting money and time in to this "project".
beer2.gif
FWIW I'm wondering if I should have started this thread in the first place, but I was quite excited last fall to have a 13fin 169 fall into my lap. My $180 investment is pushing $1200 now and there's more to spend but I can do that happily.

Frank - you got more to spend??? Looks pretty much done to me. I think the grill is missing but I wouldn't spend alot on that. They are around but usually a little melted, and usually missing the aluminum (or is it tin) IH emblem. What else might you be needing?

coffee.gif
coffee.gif
Harry, I can think of a dozen or more ways to spend more on this beast! I'm so impressed with it that I'm considering going to the Credit Union and taking out a loan to buy a new carburetor! Seriously, rear ags are on my list and probably narrow front tri ribs. When it gets parked for the winter (which Mom says is right around the corner) I want to re-do the steering and try the 3-turn column. I've got a ported hydro system that could be put on it, but for just mowing the manual lift is OK. I'm lacking 1 grille spring (they're different than the narrow frame grilles). Of course, if I go the ported hydro route I'll need a sleeve hitch assembly. Lighting system needs attention (I'll find reasonable replicas of the tail light lenses).
I should contact Dave Kirk and tell him how well his crankshaft balancing is working.
Beautiful, sunny day starting out. Gotta mow!!!
happy.gif

Under edit: Post pics, I just turned the page!
cubwinker.gif

Frank,
I love it when a plan comes together.
To think what you could have got at the Big Box stores for $1200? Uh.....nothing...and you've got SOMETHING!
I just built a three turn steering box with "super-steer upgrades". I'm anxious to try it.

Frank, I just got a pair of the 5 rib v61's from miller tire - mounted them on my cub 71 rims but I'm trying to decide if I need another pair for the 169 or go with the big 3 ribs (wide center rib) from miller. Pretty much 5 ribs were $48 and the 3 ribs are $70. Will have to decide.

Frank - your unit should have a ported pump on it already. If you have the hydraulic set up with the spooler valve, cylinder and lines, lift handle, etc., you should be all set and installing is a piece of Hostess Cup Cake or even a Twinkie.
Why would you need a new carb? Are you using a #30? And with regard to the tail light lenses, put a note in the wanted section you're looking for the cracked lenses others are replacing.

bouncy.gif

I've been trying to decide if the amber lenses will suit me on my 169 - Might just have to try them.

John, Better not. Harry will be all over your a$$ for not being correct.

Tom H - hey!!! I've seen the (amber) light!!!! I'm the one that suggested using them. I wish someone would post a pic of a nice looking unit that had them mounted. I'm thinking they should really look pretty nice mounted on the yellar fenders.

I finally got my decal sample from my print shop.
Should work out well.It does not have the "SERIAL NO." text....forgive me correct police.
I'm going to have them modify the font down it little. Not quite good enough yet.

This 169 serial tag had been HEAVILY sand blasted.
Shure freshens up the look!
Harry I used your pic as an example.

259431.jpg

259432.jpg

259433.jpg

Rick - are you sure you used my pic as an example??? That's not my serial number in any of your pics.
The decal does look pretty nice, but I assume you know IH must have painted it on some how. Even so, the decal looks really nice. (As long as we are talking about mine, the lettering is pretty well wore off and your decal might be a reasonable substitution).

Harry,
I thought you had posted that pic.
I'm not looking to be 100% correct. But it is a shame to have a nice painted up tractor with a crappy looking serial number plate.
This solution is EZ, cheap, and can be removed or replaced with no damage to the tag.

My tag had been blasted and painted over yellow. So I had to do something. I see some companys make replacement tags for big tractors. Maybe someday they will do Cubs too.
I'm not sure what this will cost me yet, but should be very economical.

Back