• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

169 advice needed

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Colonel

IHCC Supporter
I am asking about the engine on my 169. The governor shaft is seeping oil down onto the points cover and side of motor. Can this be repaired with a seal or packing of some kind. I looked for answer in FAQ section, did not see what I need to do for repair. Do parts come separate or in a “kit” ? I did check the filter on the crankcase vent after reading some of the questions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The only sure way to fix it is to replace the governor shaft and brass nut. Unfortunately, this requires complete disassembly of the engine.

As much as I hate oil leaks on my stuff, I'd just let it leak until you have a need to tear the engine all the way down.

You can replace the nut only, without disassembling the engine.
But, you will have to remove the governor arm and re-adjust it after installing the new nut.
Easy enough task.
Clean the area well before removing the old nut.

If the shaft is worn at all, just replacing the nut won't solve the leak. Ask me how I know...

Whatever.....
For no more than a new bushing costs and as easy as it is to replace I think it's worth a shot. May stem the leak somewhat.
Are you sure that the nut is tight?

Back